The Student Room Group

alavel chemistry troubles

hey, so basically when we start school again I want to choose chemistry for Alevel however I have been told that their is a lot of maths and the maths is really hard. right now at school I'm only getting a 5 in maths and I really need some advice on if I will struggle and if its worth me picking the subject ????

my other alavel choices are biology and psychology.

tyy xx
I personally didn’t think the maths is that hard but I do maths A level lol. But most of the maths is using equations tho which you can get better at with practice
The maths topics involved in A level chemistry are mainly equation-rearranging, basic logs/exponentials (which you'll get taught fully about without needing A level maths) and the occasional simple algebra problem for finding empirical formulae or solving for equilibrium concentrations. There won't be any content that you need A level maths for which means that there's a limit to how difficult the maths can be. You should be able to get by just fine if you're comfortable with rearranging equations and solving simple linear algebraic equations. The logs and exponentials are probably the hardest part, but if you're not that comfortable with maths then you should be able to get by by learning a few formulas that you can substitute numbers into.

This chemistry calculations book written by the author of Chemguide is something you might like to have a look at if you do take A level chemistry and want additional help with calculations which is accessible even if you aren't that confident with maths.
Reply 3
Original post by GreenCub
The maths topics involved in A level chemistry are mainly equation-rearranging, basic logs/exponentials (which you'll get taught fully about without needing A level maths) and the occasional simple algebra problem for finding empirical formulae or solving for equilibrium concentrations. There won't be any content that you need A level maths for which means that there's a limit to how difficult the maths can be. You should be able to get by just fine if you're comfortable with rearranging equations and solving simple linear algebraic equations. The logs and exponentials are probably the hardest part, but if you're not that comfortable with maths then you should be able to get by by learning a few formulas that you can substitute numbers into.

This chemistry calculations book written by the author of Chemguide is something you might like to have a look at if you do take A level chemistry and want additional help with calculations which is accessible even if you aren't that confident with maths.

thank you so much I've been so worried as every one has told me that the maths is so hard 😒 but I would definitely be willing to put the work in xx thank u

Quick Reply

Latest