wildstar9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Basically, I cannot write more than one sentence for a task, well enough. It's weird but my mind goes blank, and I don't seem to have any ideas on what to write next. Does anybody know what I am going through? I find it hard to link my sentences together and stick to one point, too.
username3916406
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm sorry if this is too vague of an answer and I may have misinterpreted your question but have you thought about using more conjunctions to link the sentences better. Therefore, consequently, as a result, stuff like that?
f15es1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Have you written a plan before you start writing? Also having a go to structure for writing an essay helps as you then know exactly what your next paragraph needs to consist of. Is this helpful?
wildstar9
Rep:
?
(Original post by f15es1)
Have you written a plan before you start writing? Also having a go to structure for writing an essay helps as you then know exactly what your next paragraph needs to consist of. Is this helpful?
I don't usually plan my work. I don't know how to plan effectively.
f15es1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do you have a particular subject that you struggle with because you plan differently depending on different subjects and their topic? In general if you’re writing an essay you want to look at the essay title. Come up with 3+ points that you feel explore the question and in an introduction outline these three points then write about them and in the conclusion summarise and give your interpretation as to the answer to the question.
So in a plan I would just write out my key idea for each paragraph and this just gives you an idea for where you want to go and makes sure you stay on task as you can refer to your original idea for the paragraph and make sure you’re on track.
wildstar9
Rep:
?
Thanks.

All subjects I struggle with. To be honest, even day-to-day tasks such as texting, writing emails I find difficult.

When you write, do you have to think about what you want to write about next, or do you just automatically do it?
Englishteacher24
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by wildstar9)
Thanks.

All subjects I struggle with. To be honest, even day-to-day tasks such as texting, writing emails I find difficult.

When you write, do you have to think about what you want to write about next, or do you just automatically do it?
Planning is really important - you need to experiment to find what works best for you. With more formal essays, I always approach planning with a loose mind map. Other people write a few key words. Others might spend hours creating a really detailed 8 page plan.

I'm a teacher and when I write, I still have to think about what comes next to some extent. If I'm really familiar with the topic, it's easier. It might not be a writing issue - your issues with writing might be the result of your understanding of a topic. I find that my writing is better when I can navigate material confidently. If I was asked to write about chemistry, for example, my writing would be grammatically correct, but it would grammatically correct babble.

Formulas can structure your writing - it's relatively easy for me to write now, only because when I was taking my GCSEs, I regularly used PEE and my organic style evolved from there. Everyone has to start somewhere. Sentence structures or templates can be useful for writing paragraphs or setting out a letter, for example.

Often, I type things up and edit as I go along. I don't think anyone can effectively write without proofreading and changing their work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (11)
18.33%
No one else does (22)
36.67%
I'm embarrassed about my background (8)
13.33%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (15)
25%
We don't use a video platform (2)
3.33%
I don't have a camera (1)
1.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.67%

Watched Threads