The Student Room Group

Modern Languages

Ok so , i’m currently in my final year at college a BTEC in Applied Science and ive decided that i really would like to learn more languages and complete a Modern Languages degree. I’m not sure how i can do this because i’m on a completely none related course at the moment. Also i did complete a Spanish GCSE but sadly failed so i’m not sure what to do
In order to do a modern languages degree you really need A-Levels (or equivalent, like an IB). I don't think universities accept anything else. If possible you could start again at college, instead taking a levels in languages. However a GCSE language would be required.

Quite honestly you haven't got many options. If you really want to do a degree you'd have to study for a GCSE privately, then pass that, then pass a-levels. This could take at least 3 years. Alternatively you may be able to do a joint course at a university, where you study one subject (e.g. English, history) and learn a language from scratch (ab. initio). I don't know any courses personally but they may be out there. Or you can just learn a language another way. Many universities will offer modules or programmes for language learning supplementary to your degree, and there's loads of things out there to help you learn a language in lots of different ways
Reply 2
Original post by whycantwerun
In order to do a modern languages degree you really need A-Levels (or equivalent, like an IB). I don't think universities accept anything else. If possible you could start again at college, instead taking a levels in languages. However a GCSE language would be required.

Quite honestly you haven't got many options. If you really want to do a degree you'd have to study for a GCSE privately, then pass that, then pass a-levels. This could take at least 3 years. Alternatively you may be able to do a joint course at a university, where you study one subject (e.g. English, history) and learn a language from scratch (ab. initio). I don't know any courses personally but they may be out there. Or you can just learn a language another way. Many universities will offer modules or programmes for language learning supplementary to your degree, and there's loads of things out there to help you learn a language in lots of different ways

that’s great! thank you for the advice
Reply 3
There are languages you can do "ab initio"/with no experience, especially if they're a bit more niche. I'll be starting Japanese at Manchester this year and didn't do a single language for my A-Levels.
You don’t need an a-level for some language courses. It always helps, but don’t feel you have to. A lot of places now don’t require one although it is preferred. I would recommend perhaps doing a language school (there’s a lot online now due to the virus) if you can afford it and submitting that as proof, get an accredited one if possible in A2 minimum and I’m sure some would accept it. Just email admissions to check. Sometimes they’re better than the university language courses :wink: I did CLIC for Spanish and would recommend it, they’re part of International House language schools, there’s loads of others though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending