wildstar9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I struggle with English writing, a lot. I don't know why, but I find writing things down really difficult. I think one reason for this is because I have no content to write about. My mind just feels empty all the time. If I do start writing, I, usually, do not know how to finish it off. Or how to make my sentences link together and not be ajar. What can I do about this struggle?
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What is this specifically for, a literature essay?
wildstar9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
What is this specifically for, a literature essay?
Well, my future career will be in the science field, so getting better at academic writing would be helpful. But this thread relates to getting better at basic English.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi wildstar9, I hear you - lots of students tend to struggle with this, so know that you're not alone. From both personal and teaching experience, I've noticed that it has a lot to do with overcoming the fear of starting, of not being able to write down 'the perfect first sentence'. Not sure if this resonates, but here are 6 tips on how to jumpstart the writing process that may help you: http://hyperbolit.com/2020/04/15/how...ge-in-writing/
wildstar9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hyperbolit)
Hi wildstar9, I hear you - lots of students tend to struggle with this, so know that you're not alone. From both personal and teaching experience, I've noticed that it has a lot to do with overcoming the fear of starting, of not being able to write down 'the perfect first sentence'. Not sure if this resonates, but here are 6 tips on how to jumpstart the writing process that may help you: http://hyperbolit.com/2020/04/15/how...ge-in-writing/
Thank you. However, I feel like I have been brain-damaged, that my writing will never improve. I am in my mid-20s, which is incredibly embarrassing for me to say. I will continue writing fragmented sentences no matter how hard I try otherwise. I just don't have the knowledge or creative ideas, naturally.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by wildstar9)
Thank you. However, I feel like I have been brain-damaged, that my writing will never improve. I am in my mid-20s, which is incredibly embarrassing for me to say. I will continue writing fragmented sentences no matter how hard I try otherwise. I just don't have the knowledge or creative ideas, naturally.
Not embarrassing at all! I have students in their 30s asking for help with writing skills, so the struggle is shared. Writing is hard! Here's a tip if you find yourself writing sentence fragments all the time: check if anything between two full stops contains a subject, a verb, an an object. 'Subject' refers to the person / object doing or being something, e.g. "I", "he", "she", "they", "John", or "the table"; 'verb' refers to the action or indication of being (e.g. "playing in "John is playing football", but also "is" in "The table is in the corner"); 'object' refers to the person / object on the receiving end of the action, or if it's the secondary focus of the sentence. Technically, all sentences should feature the 'SVO' structure, but of course there are variations in the way 'SVO' is ordered. Don't worry about the exceptions to the case for now though, and just practise writing and checking for 'SVO' sentences. Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (350)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (278)
44.27%

Watched Threads