username4900386
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Essentially i did an A level in life and health science and the course covered very little biology. I have been accepted to my dream uni to do my dream course but now that i look at it my A level is going so severely disadvantage me. Can anyone help do they reteach biology in first year uni or would it be beneficial for me to go away and learn biology.
dumpling_eater
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This book (Catch Up Biology for the Medical Sciences) would be a great start.

It's also important that you learn the Central Dogma of Biology:
It describes the three main processes (replication, transcription, tranlsation) by which (genetic) information flows into gene products (RNA or proteins - depends on the gene). This is used by all cells to maintain their genetic information and and convert the encoded DNA into gene products.
The central dogma is very important because it provides the basic framework for how genetic information flows from a DNA sequence to a protein product inside cells. The process of genetic information flowing along DNA > RNA > Protein is what's called gene expression (which can be measured in RNA or in protein levels, depending on the gene product made).

Hope this helps!
username4900386
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by dumpling_eater)
This book (Catch Up Biology for the Medical Sciences) would be a great start.

It's also important that you learn the Central Dogma of Biology:
It describes the three main processes (replication, transcription, tranlsation) by which (genetic) information flows into gene products (RNA or proteins - depends on the gene). This is used by all cells to maintain their genetic information and and convert the encoded DNA into gene products.
The central dogma is very important because it provides the basic framework for how genetic information flows from a DNA sequence to a protein product inside cells. The process of genetic information flowing along DNA > RNA > Protein is what's called gene expression (which can be measured in RNA or in protein levels, depending on the gene product made).

Hope this helps!
You good sir are a legend
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It might be worth emailing your uni and asking if they recommend any reading materials. You might also be able to find free online courses that cover basic biology.
deairiee
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I dont know about your university and course but I did my BSc in Biology at the University of Bristol and the first year was largely just A level revision and getting everyone up to speed and on the same level as many students will have different backgrounds. Maybe you can ask your uni if they do this?
But otherwise a lot of hard work I'm sure will go a long way. And the uni wouldn't have offered you a place if they didn't think your A levels were relevant enough imo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.38%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (97)
27.64%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (134)
38.18%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed