Using junk websites to make money.

Watch
David-Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
What is your opinion on people who send spam emails to other people with fake warnings of (viruses, criminal conviction, deportation) etc with the objective of scaring the person into clicking a link.

However,the link opens a non-malicious webpage filled with ads or to an adfly. The objective is to simply get as much ad impressions, not to scam the person.

Should these types of people be convicted of fraud?
JohnMiller711
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by David-Isaac)
What is your opinion on people who send spam emails to other people with fake warnings of (viruses, criminal conviction, deportation) etc with the objective of scaring the person into clicking a link.

However,the link opens a non-malicious webpage filled with ads or to an adfly. The objective is to simply get as much ad impressions, not to scam the person.

Should these types of people be convicted of fraud?
You use Facebook services, google services which already get ad money from you, furthermore they track your location via WiFi triangulation and the list goes on so someone using ads to get money isn't big of a deal, they are also trying to use corona apps that tells u if you are in contact with an infected even though they already have that info so small ad money from links and ad fly isn't that bad
suryanshu32
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You should put an antivirus
Joe1000000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's still spam. You may struggle to convict them of fraud, but doesn't make them any less scummy.
JohnMiller711
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Joe1000000)
It's still spam. You may struggle to convict them of fraud, but doesn't make them any less scummy.
covering a link in ads or using ad fly or alike is scummy. If anything ur making ad money seems smart and if you send them to the website you promised it isn't fraud. Also its a grey area since i can say ooh u should get a discounted face mask or you could die
its fine since u probably could die, they are smart while not scamming or fraud but they make money of every click at the same time
csnerd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
they are nonces
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
youre the one who clicked on it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.61%
I'm not sure (52)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.49%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (549)
48.33%

Watched Threads