The Student Room Group

How does going to your GP about mental health work?

I've been before about counselling but this time I want to go to ask about anxiety because I strongly believe I have an anxiety disorder and possibly PTSD from trauma from my childhood. How do I go about this? Do I literally just straight up tell them, hello, I think I have an anxiety disorder and possibly PTSD or would they honestly just think I'm attention seeking or that I'm wrong. Can GPs even diagnose you or do they just refer you to someone else? I've been told by people at A&E (I went in a couple of months ago because of SH and saw crisis team) that I am an anxious person (they said I went in to A&E for bad anxiety, SH and low mood in the letter they sent us afterwards) and that it is a possibility I have PTSD but obviously they never diagnosed me with anything cause that's not their job. I really just want a straight answer and to be able to put a label on this. I know it won't really help just by naming something I'm already sure I have but it would just put my mind at ease that I'm not making this up and someone else believes me. Thanks, all help is appreciated.
The GP refers.

In general a GP won't have many problems saying someone has 'anxiety' if they think that's the case. They can diagnose that. They are unlikely to go further than that themselves even if they agree.

You use the word anxiety disorder, but PTSD is essentually one, it was classified as one until the last version of the DSM where it was moved into trauma and stressor related disorders. There are massive overlaps with other anxiety disorders.

Again in general due to stepped care, usually people get diagnosed with 'anxiety' first and PTSD much later.
Don't feel bad for wanting a label, they can be helpful to a lot of people as it feels like there is finally a reason for feeling how you do :smile:
As the above poster says GPs are fairly limited with what they can diagnose, if someone has mild depression and anxiety then they will usually get diagnosed with that at the GP and perhaps referred on to secondary counselling or therapy care.
If someone is presenting something more complex than that the GP may give you a diagnosis of say anxiety (so you can access for example university extensions etc) but will refer you on to a psychiatrist.
Psychiatrists have wait times and with the NHS being how it is it can take the best part of half a year sometimes longer to get an initial appointment. That's why it's a good idea to see your GP as soon as possible as unfortunately a lot of things are not instant.
Some people prefer to write stuff down and then hand it to a GP, try not to worry too much it's not as daunting as it seems :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been before about counselling but this time I want to go to ask about anxiety because I strongly believe I have an anxiety disorder and possibly PTSD from trauma from my childhood. How do I go about this? Do I literally just straight up tell them, hello, I think I have an anxiety disorder and possibly PTSD or would they honestly just think I'm attention seeking or that I'm wrong. Can GPs even diagnose you or do they just refer you to someone else? I've been told by people at A&E (I went in a couple of months ago because of SH and saw crisis team) that I am an anxious person (they said I went in to A&E for bad anxiety, SH and low mood in the letter they sent us afterwards) and that it is a possibility I have PTSD but obviously they never diagnosed me with anything cause that's not their job. I really just want a straight answer and to be able to put a label on this. I know it won't really help just by naming something I'm already sure I have but it would just put my mind at ease that I'm not making this up and someone else believes me. Thanks, all help is appreciated.

Hi @Anonymous#1,

I'm contacting you from the charity Papyrus Prevention of Young Suicide.

First and foremost, asking for help from your GP is a brave step. Please be assured you don't sound attention seeking or like you're making anything up. You are seeking support from someone that could help and this is a fantastic step.

I would advise being open and honest with your GP about everything you've been thinking and feeling. This way, they may be able to make an accurate diagnosis themselves or refer you to the right professional. Some people find it helpful to keep track of their mood, thoughts and feelings in a diary. This can help you identify in patterns you can share with your doctor and can also provide a timeline too.

A 10 minute consultation may feel quite daunting. It's never easy telling someone who's essentially a stranger our inner most emotions. Most GP surgeries can offer a double appointment. This will give you more time to relax into the appointment, ask questions and explain things too. Hopefully you'll feel less rushed.

Lots of people that contact our helpline HOPELINEUK have similar worries about speaking to a GP about their mental health so you're certainly not alone with your concerns. A website lots of our callers find helpful is called DocReady. It can help you plan your first appointment, the questions you have, the things you want to get across. Here's a link to the website for you: Doc Ready

If you are ever feeling suicidal because of what you're going through- don't struggle alone with these thoughts. You'd be most welcome to speak to our helpline HOPELINEUK. You can call, text or e-mail and an adviser can support you in finding a way to keep safe. Our details are below for you.

HOPELINEUK
Phone: 0800 068 4141
Text: 07860 039967
Email: [email protected]

Wanting a diagnosis is so important for lots of people. It can give a name for our experiences and also can give us an idea of the treatment pathways that are recommended. So what you're looking for is perfectly valid and you're doing the right thing in seeking this initially from your GP.

I hope this response helps and I wish you all the best with your GP appointment.

Take care of yourself

Ben:nyan:

Quick Reply

Latest