Theresa May

Watch
Poll: Do you think Theresa May is a good prime minister?
Yes (2)
14.29%
No (12)
85.71%
suryanshu32
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do you think she was a good Prime Minister?
suryanshu32
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by suryanshu32)
I don't think she is.
suryanshu32
Rep:
There is a poll!
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You remember that old game the floor is lava? She was playing a modified version called the floor is a good brexit deal
suryanshu32
Rep:
(Original post by Glaz)
You remember that old game the floor is lava? She was playing a modified version called the floor is a good brexit deal
what do you mean?
CoryDeAth
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
what do you mean?
I think that is brilliantly self-explanatory.. :yep:

No, I do not think she was - Unlike Boris Johnson, she didn't get anything done.
suryanshu32
Rep:
(Original post by CoryDeAth)
I think that is brilliantly self-explanatory.. :yep:

No, I do not think she was - Unlike Boris Johnson, she didn't get anything done.
I completely agree!!!
suryanshu32
Rep:
She was crying which is not good!!
suryanshu32
Rep:
Need more votes!
suryanshu32
Rep:
Anyone have any opinions?
username5231288
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I bet she must be breathing a sigh of relief that she got out before Covid-19 hit the fan.
suryanshu32
Rep:
(Original post by Gluecagone)
I bet she must be breathing a sigh of relief that she got out before Covid-19 hit the fan.
Yeah she must have!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
No.
I wouldnt say she was particularly bad for the simple reason she did absolutely nothing though. She will be nothing more than an insignificant footnote in this island story.
suryanshu32
Rep:
(Original post by Napp)
No.
I wouldnt say she was particularly bad for the simple reason she did absolutely nothing though. She will be nothing more than an insignificant footnote in this island story.
She did nothing!!!
econhelp525
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I liked Theresa May and the 2017 manifesto in particular, but I think it's a shame how she did not win a majority.
suryanshu32
Rep:
(Original post by econhelp525)
I liked Theresa May and the 2017 manifesto in particular, but I think it's a shame how she did not win a majority.
No one liked her because of her attitude
econhelp525
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
That's nice.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The simple answer is no.

While she had the potential to be so, her failure to secure a majority in the 2017 election meant that Brexit was able to swallow the governments agenda with a speaker and parliament quite happy to betray her. She was therefore unable to do much at all.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
No. I ended up softening to her, but it was because I felt sorry for her.

There was never anything that suggested she'd be a good Prime Minister. She was a knee-jerk right-winger whose only attribute had been longevity in an important post. She didn't do anything special in the Home Office and presided over a series of (perhaps inevitable) ****-ups.

As Prime Minister, her response was to be static. Her first speech on the steps of Downing Street was interesting - it could've shown a new direction and a real willingness to tackle major social issues in Britain. In the end, she achieved virtually none of it - she retreated, she controlled government output with a level of utter paranoia and wanted to be in control of it all - while simultaneously being a block on everything.

On Brexit, she not only created huge uncertainty over the direction of travel for Britain, she helped create a divisive post-referendum atmosphere where society became (and continues to be) seen through the lens of leavers and remainers. There was no attempt to unite the country, to bring remainers along - she clearly accepted the argument that seizing the leave vote would benefit the Conservative Party and her attitude to everyone else was '**** 'em'. Which might be fine electorally (indeed, it served her well) but solidified opposition too (hence why Corbyn in 2017 did relatively well too) - and made Britain a less cohesive society.

I'm sure she's perfectly nice to know, but as a politician she was deeply flawed in a very obvious way - and instead of overcoming her flaws, her actions just made them more and more apparent.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I remember back in 2017 talking to some builders about the election. One was ardently anti-Tory, the other was floating but was happy to say that he did like Theresa: he basically suggested that not being able to find the right words, not having the slick polish of Cameron etc, endeared her to him and made her seem more honest.

I do actually think she was quite honest as a politician. There was no pretence there, no razzmatazz. It's just that she didn't have much else. Potentially a whiff of the Gordon Brown there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.4%
October 2021 (214)
45.24%
November 2021 (52)
10.99%
December 2021 (62)
13.11%
January 2021 (54)
11.42%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.67%