The Student Room Group

A-level Choices

I am so utterly stuck. At the moment, I have chosen for A-levels French, History, English lit, Maths. However, I have always LOVED physics and I'm not sure that I'm ready to give it up as to do it in the future you obvs need an a-level in it. I would appreciate any advice on choosing my a-levels.
:smile:
Hey, do you have any idea of what career you want to go into in the future?
Reply 2
maybe look at uni requirements for the courses you'd be interested in and speak to older students at your school as you don't want to be stuck with awful teachers etc... you could also start doing some bridging work for all 5 of the subjects you're considering and see how you find them. If you're good at all your subjects it makes sense to do your favourite ones as you're more likely to be motivated to work.
Original post by rpmf224
maybe look at uni requirements for the courses you'd be interested in and speak to older students at your school as you don't want to be stuck with awful teachers etc... you could also start doing some bridging work for all 5 of the subjects you're considering and see how you find them. If you're good at all your subjects it makes sense to do your favourite ones as you're more likely to be motivated to work.

Thank you for your advice!
Honestly I wouldn't recommend doing 4 A-levels to begin with, especially across such a varied range of subjects. Universities normally make offers on the basis of just 3 A-levels, and you don't get extra "points" for taking further ones. You also run the risk of stretching yourself too thinly across all your subjects and making a weaker application as a result - AAA is much preferable than AABB as far as unis are concerned.

In terms of your subject choices, it seems an unwise combination anyway. History and English lit have a lot of content/texts to work through, and languages and maths require a consistent commitment to the work throughout the course to ensure you can do well in the exam - you can't "cram" for those subjects. I would really suggest you drop one of those subjects before even considering some other subject.

I would note that you can go into pretty much any STEM subject (physics included) without having studied that science to A-level before through a foundation year route. There are many "physics with foundation year" degrees available, including at quite a few notable physics departments (e.g. Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, etc). So not taking physics won't necessarily rule you out of those options. However do bear in mind most history degrees require A-level History, most English lit degrees require A-level English lit, and most languages degrees require some language to A-level, and French specifically is normally only available as a post-A-level subject (and usually can't be taken "ab initio") - and none of those degrees are normally available with a foundation year for domestic students.
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly I wouldn't recommend doing 4 A-levels to begin with, especially across such a varied range of subjects. Universities normally make offers on the basis of just 3 A-levels, and you don't get extra "points" for taking further ones. You also run the risk of stretching yourself too thinly across all your subjects and making a weaker application as a result - AAA is much preferable than AABB as far as unis are concerned.

In terms of your subject choices, it seems an unwise combination anyway. History and English lit have a lot of content/texts to work through, and languages and maths require a consistent commitment to the work throughout the course to ensure you can do well in the exam - you can't "cram" for those subjects. I would really suggest you drop one of those subjects before even considering some other subject.

I would note that you can go into pretty much any STEM subject (physics included) without having studied that science to A-level before through a foundation year route. There are many "physics with foundation year" degrees available, including at quite a few notable physics departments (e.g. Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, etc). So not taking physics won't necessarily rule you out of those options. However do bear in mind most history degrees require A-level History, most English lit degrees require A-level English lit, and most languages degrees require some language to A-level, and French specifically is normally only available as a post-A-level subject (and usually can't be taken "ab initio") - and none of those degrees are normally available with a foundation year for domestic students.

Thanks for your advice.
Original post by Tintin1912
I am so utterly stuck. At the moment, I have chosen for A-levels French, History, English lit, Maths. However, I have always LOVED physics and I'm not sure that I'm ready to give it up as to do it in the future you obvs need an a-level in it. I would appreciate any advice on choosing my a-levels.
:smile:

Hi @Tintin1912!

Definitely take Physics if that's what you love! I know it will probably be hard to choose an option to drop so you could take it but maybe look at what subjects benefit your future Uni/job prospects. Also, have a look at which subjects you are less passionate about or the ones you struggle with the most so you can substitute that with Physics.

Hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest