mayayayaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I.m from very small country and i've never considered studying in the UK before , so now I'm 17 and don't know if i have any options to do that, if i don't have GCSE or other qualifications. Are there any equivalents, that i can still do and which don't take 2 years to complete?
Sorry if my question is stupid xD, but i really can't figure out how this complicated system works
Dancer2001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends what you want to do, you don’t have to spend 2 years on your GCSEs. If you’re just doing English and Maths, it would be normal to spend a year on them in college.
You can do functional skills qualifications, which are much quicker to complete, but they aren’t always accepted if you want to go into higher/further education.

Are there any qualifications you have done in your home country? They might still be accepted alongside something else.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 year ago
mayayayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
It depends what you want to do, you don’t have to spend 2 years on your GCSEs. If you’re just doing English and Maths, it would be normal to spend a year on them in college.
You can do functional skills qualifications, which are much quicker to complete, but they aren’t always accepted if you want to go into higher/further education.

Are there any qualifications you have done in your home country? They might still be accepted alongside something else.
Thanks for your reply! I'm interesting in studying Environmental Science (or Management), that's why i'm pretty sure only maths and english won't be enough. I was thinking about doing IB, but i really don't want to spend 2 years on something like that. I was hoping that i could do maybe something like foundation year? I just don't have enough information about this particularly for the UK
Dancer2001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mayayayaaa)
Thanks for your reply! I'm interesting in studying Environmental Science (or Management), that's why i'm pretty sure only maths and english won't be enough. I was thinking about doing IB, but i really don't want to spend 2 years on something like that. I was hoping that i could do maybe something like foundation year? I just don't have enough information about this particularly for the UK

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...y-requirements
Here is an example of some entry requirements for a foundation year. This is from Manchester so some universities will be quite a bit lower.

For a foundation year, they might accept any qualifications you have already done in combination with English and Maths GCSEs, depending on what they are.
You could do an access course which would only be a year, but these are normally done by older people. As a 17 year old it would make more sense to do IB (or BTEC, A levels etc.) although this would take 2 years.
What country are you currently studying in?
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 year ago
mayayayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...y-requirements
Here is an example of some entry requirements for a foundation year. This is from Manchester so some universities will be quite a bit lower.

For a foundation year, they might accept any qualifications you have already done in combination with English and Maths GCSEs, depending on what they are.
You could do an access course which would only be a year, but these are normally done by older people. As a 17 year old it would make more sense to do IB (or BTEC, A levels etc.) although this would take 2 years.
What country are you currently studying in?
Thanks again! Well, it is my fault that i started considering studying abroad too late, but the main reason i don't want to do any qualifications which will take me longer than a year is that i already have other easier options to get to uni in Australia (after half a year foundation programme). I'm currently a senior in high school in Armenia.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (124)
45.93%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.96%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.63%

Watched Threads