A-level and GCSE results day 2020 have been confirmed

Watch
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/...er-day-2539947

Results days for A-Level and GCSE students have been confirmed by Gavin Williamson as Thursday 13th August for A-Level students and Thursday 20th August for GCSE students.

These are the same dates as expected for results before the pandemic occurred, cancelling exams and closing schools.

Does knowing when results day is help calm any worries you had?
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 2 months ago
Advertisement
pascalsmythe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)

Results days for A-Level and GCSE students have been confirmed by Gavin Williamson as Thursday 13th August for A-Level students and Thursday 20th August for GCSE students.

These are the same dates as expected for results before the pandemic occurred, cancelling exams and closing schools.

Not at all. Predicted grades already available and government rowing back on stated commitments. No reason why this shouldn’t be earlier unless government trying to ensure their objectives met rather than the objectives of the students and universitiea
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pascalsmythe)
Not at all. Predicted grades already available and government rowing back on stated commitments. No reason why this shouldn’t be earlier unless government trying to ensure their objectives met rather than the objectives of the students and universitiea
There could be other reasons, there are a whole host of other factors that could mean they have had to circle back to the original A-level result date. Also worth noting they never committed to getting them released earlier, just that they would try!
Advertisement
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm glad I didn't cancel my holiday at work :lol:
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Doesn't really calm any worries for me because the worries are surrounding the grade Shame it's not in July though, they had considered it.
Advertisement
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I really don't see why it needs to be that late. Students won't know whether to revise for the Autumn exams or not. Most teachers will already have a pretty good idea where students are. Is all this time really needed?

The only reason why I can see them needing all this time is for exam board moderation but that worries me. How much control are our teachers really having when deciding our grades?
username5195672
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
makes me more p*ssed off they gave us hope it would be released late july
Advertisement
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Alpha Slayer)
makes me more p*ssed off they gave us hope it would be released late july
I want them to tell us why it is taking this long.
rsidofdhoidsh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)

Thats so dumb...I have to wait until the 20th of August to find out if I want to resit any subjects.
Advertisement
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
The only reason why I can see them needing all this time is for exam board moderation but that worries me. How much control are our teachers really having when deciding our grades?
There will be no moderation in the usual sense. Professional judgements regarding candidate outcomes will start and finish at schools and colleges.The exam boards will simply standardise the grades and rankings submitted by centres.
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They said teachers should decide by the end of May so why will it take 2 and a half months extra if there's no marking?
Advertisement
slucyhihihi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is so frustrating. How on Earth are students going to have enough time to revise for Autumn exams if they find out they need to this late??
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There's also UCAS as well. There's going to be a lot of panic when results are given out which would be a lot better if we had longer between results day and uni start dates.
Advertisement
JoeClements
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They need to release when exactly the autumn exams will be held. Bc there's clearly not gonna be enough time between results day and autumn exams for revision and we want to know when to start revising.
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by OkThanksBye)
They said teachers should decide by the end of May so why will it take 2 and a half months extra if there's no marking?
The deadline for centre submission of grades and rankings has not yet been announced. All we have been told is that, "The deadline will not be earlier than 29 May 2020 and centres will have a window of at least two weeks in which to submit the data."
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
The deadline for centre submission of grades and rankings has not yet been announced. All we have been told is that, "The deadline will not be earlier than 29 May 2020 and centres will have a window of at least two weeks in which to submit the data."
Why do teachers need any longer to submit their grades? Most teachers I've heard from have said they already know what grades they will give for most students.
SkylineS4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How will university places be decided for competitive courses and universities? I thought that all universities gave out more offers than spaces so how will the university decide on who to give a place?
Advertisement
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SkylineS4)
How will university places be decided for competitive courses and universities? I thought that all universities gave out more offers than spaces so how will the university decide on who to give a place?
I think it is very likely that some unis will have more offers than places when results are given out. Chances are those with better predicted grades (who will have applied for these competitive places) will also have better teacher assessed grades. A longer gap between results day and uni start dates would give a longer period of time to sort this out.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It doesn't give much time for an appeal if one is needed
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is not reassuring at all. They're doing it to 'return to normality'. Why don't you give us our grades a bit sooner so we can 'return to normality' a bit sooner? Especially since people are going to be resitting exams in autumn. This is a nonsensical justification for a poor decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.87%
Confident (30)
12.1%
Indifferent (42)
16.94%
Unsure (66)
26.61%
Worried (88)
35.48%

Watched Threads

Latest