Medikj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Why do alkanes have higher melting points of alkenes?
SudiT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Medikj)
Why do alkanes have higher melting points of alkenes?
Alkanes and alkenes with the same number of carbons have very similar melting points but it is slightly higher for alkanes because they have two extra hydrogen atoms and therefore two extra electrons. This increases the strength of the van der Waals forces between the alkane molecules ( because there is a higher electron density and so also stronger temporarily induced dipoles). This means more energy is required to overcome the van der Waals between the alkane molecules so they have a higher melting point.
Medikj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by SudiT)
Alkanes and alkenes with the same number of carbons have very similar melting points but it is slightly higher for alkanes because they have two extra hydrogen atoms and therefore two extra electrons. This increases the strength of the van der Waals forces between the alkane molecules ( because there is a higher electron density and so also stronger temporarily induced dipoles). This means more energy is required to overcome the van der Waals between the alkane molecules so they have a higher melting point.
Thank you very much!
SudiT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Medikj)
Thank you very much!
No problem!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed