How many words should each dissertation chapter be?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
My school recommends 3 chapters and then intro, conclusion + abstract and it’s a 10,000 word dissertation. Is this roughly 2500 words for each chapter? The intro is meant to be 1000 words as well as the conclusion. Abstract is roughly 100 words
JayTutor01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It depends. What are you working on?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My school recommends 3 chapters and then intro, conclusion + abstract and it’s a 10,000 word dissertation. Is this roughly 2500 words for each chapter? The intro is meant to be 1000 words as well as the conclusion. Abstract is roughly 100 words
Hi

It depended on what the your dissertation question is on? Some chapters may be longer as it may be the critical part of the discussion. which would need more words dedicated to it. If you are just starting on writing your dissertation, I wouldn't worry about chapter at the moment. When I wrote both my dissertations for UG and PG the chapters changed once I started writing and realized I could write on one specific area in more detail.

Hope this helps. If you need any more advice please give me a shout.

Dom
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi

It depended on what the your dissertation question is on? Some chapters may be longer as it may be the critical part of the discussion. which would need more words dedicated to it. If you are just starting on writing your dissertation, I wouldn't worry about chapter at the moment. When I wrote both my dissertations for UG and PG the chapters changed once I started writing and realized I could write on one specific area in more detail.

Hope this helps. If you need any more advice please give me a shout.

Dom
My dissertation is the depiction of women in my artist of choice’ paintings. I’ve had a lot to say for chapters 2&3 but really stuck what to for chapter 1. I was going to use chapter 1 and kind of an intro to what other paintings of women were like throughout the period ( the renaissance) but don’t know if this would be seen as a cop out because surely that would go in the actual introduction?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My dissertation is the depiction of women in my artist of choice’ paintings. I’ve had a lot to say for chapters 2&3 but really stuck what to for chapter 1. I was going to use chapter 1 and kind of an intro to what other paintings of women were like throughout the period ( the renaissance) but don’t know if this would be seen as a cop out because surely that would go in the actual introduction?
Hi agian

What you could do is have an extended introduction that introduces the other painting and the context on your dissertation. This will then mean that the other 2 chapters will have space to get into the nitty gritty of your analysis. In chapter one you an also highlight other issues but explain why you are focusing your discussion on one specific area.

Hope this helps.
Dom
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (769)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads