Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
As part of the ask a University Student 2.0 initiative, this thread is for you to ask what it's like to study Dentistry!
I'm currently a Dentistry student at Uni of Manchester - feel free to ask me anything!

If you have questions about the application process, you may also want to tag in
trZ15 Zehin Oluwadamilooolaa and scarletdental19, ReadilySalted Dentalsurgery20who've all recently been through the application process and have offers to study Dentistry at various unis.

Current students: me (Nuttyy) and Jitesh (lmk if you're a student and want adding in)
(any dental applicants who have offers or students who wanna help out, lmk, I'll tag you in.

There is also an AMA thread about being a dentist, run by a DrTSR who is currently a dentist.
Here is a link to his thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5937530
Feel free to ask him any questions you have about life as a dentist etc.
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108
Last edited by Nuttyy; 2 weeks ago
Deborah247
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is the hardest part of the dentistry course? And is there anything you didn’t expect as a dental student?
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deborah247)
What is the hardest part of the dentistry course? And is there anything you didn’t expect as a dental student?

Hardest part: Anatomy in first and second yr (imo), very enjoyable tho
Didn't expect: how easy the first and second years are 😂

Only in second year atm and I know third year is quite hard.
Last edited by Nuttyy; 2 months ago
LMR127
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does it ever get boring?
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by LMR127)
Does it ever get boring?
Nope, never. After years of doing subjects you don't really have a passion for, it's refreshing to study something you genuinely enjoy.
sss14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi I had a couple of questions:
1) what uni do you got to?
2) what a-level grades did you get?
2) are there people on the course that got in despite having lower A-level grades than needed?
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sss14)
Hi I had a couple of questions:
1) what uni do you got to?
2) what a-level grades did you get?
2) are there people on the course that got in despite having lower A-level grades than needed?
1: UoMan
2: AAB
3: Yes
Oluwadamilooolaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for tagging me. If anyone has specific questions on the application process, I’ll be happy to answer ☺️
Rose_2004
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What did you take for A-levels, and would you say they look at GCSE grades?
Last edited by Rose_2004; 2 months ago
not_XIX_forever
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How would you advise someone who can't pick whether to do med or dent?
Oluwadamilooolaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by not_XIX_forever)
Work experience 100%. Obviously given the circumstances, it would be impossible to gather work experience now but when you are able to do so, you would be able to see the work carried out in each work field and it’s also compulsory to carry it out anyway when applying to either course. But for now, ask yourself why you are considering both and evaluate the pros and cons of each course and maybe that way it would be easier for you to determine which one is the best for you.
Last edited by Oluwadamilooolaa; 2 months ago
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by not_XIX_forever)

They're very opposite fields in one regard and very similar in another. The way I did it was made 2 huge pros and cons list for each, then talked to dentists and doctors, then made my decision.

I also did work ex for dent after that, to make sure it's what I want to do.
Oluwadamilooolaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rose_2004)
What did you take for A-levels, and would you say they look at GCSE grades?
Some universities pay more attention to gcse grades than others. For example, Birmingham expects quite high grades meanwhile other universities pay more attention to other factors such as your personal statement, Ucat etc. For specific information on certain uni’s, check their entry requirement. However it is expected to have good grades in sciences and English language (at least a 6 or above).
sophie.213
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nuttyy)
As part of the ask a University Student 2.0 initiative, this thread is for you to ask what it's like to study Dentistry!
I'm currently a Dentistry student at Uni of Manchester - feel free to ask me anything!

If you have questions about the application process, you may also want to tag in
trZ15 Zehin Oluwadamilooolaa and scarletdental19, who've all recently been through the application process and have offers to study Dentistry at various unis.
1.What GCSE grades did you get?
2. Do universities pay attention to how much work experience you have done or do they just focus on the fact that you have done some, (I'm worried that I won't be able to do as much because of the corona virus, all of my future arrangements in hospitals and surgeries have been postponed/cancelled completely).
zzz010
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
1. Is first and second year easier or the same difficulty as A levels?
2. How much of your hands have you used so far on the course?
3.Do you find it weird working with patients?
4. How stressful is it so far / 10 ?
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophie.213)
2. Do universities pay attention to how much work experience you have done or do they just focus on the fact that you have done some, (I'm worried that I won't be able to do as much because of the corona virus, all of my future arrangements in hospitals and surgeries have been postponed/cancelled completely).
1. 1A* 10As
2. Depends which uni, but I'm sure there's many in the same boat as you so dw.
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by zzz010)
1. Is first and second year easier or the same difficulty as A levels?
2. How much of your hands have you used so far on the course?
3.Do you find it weird working with patients?
4. How stressful is it so far / 10 ?
Waay easier than a levels.

I've treated patients n practice on plastic teeth, so used quite a lot of my hands lol

Nope, it's why I chose dent, to work with pts

5/10
blanc000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nuttyy)

trZ15 Zehin Oluwadamilooolaa and scarletdental19, who've all recently been through the application process and have offers to study Dentistry at various unis.
do you know anyone on your course or dentists who didn't do biology as I do maths chem and economics and might be interested in doing it. I've got a lot of work experience and stuff and can get predicted A*AA or A*A*A if I work comfortably
scarletdental19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sophie.213)
1. 8 A* 3 A 1 B
2. Lots of unis say they like a couple of weeks but I didn’t and still got offers so it’s also a lot about what you’ve learnt from the experience and that you can show you have some understanding of the good and bad parts of dentistry. Volunteering is good to do as well as work experience in clinics and hospitals. But I’m sure the unis will understand the extra struggle of gaining lots of work experience this year. Hope this helps
ITS2019
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
1) Do you have any advice for people about to start the course / Things you wish you had done?
2) How many hours of revision do you do per week?
3) How does the difficulty of the course compare to A levels?
4) What is the most stressful thing about the course?
5) How do assessments work in the course?
Thanks 😄
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (26)
21.49%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (32)
26.45%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (17)
14.05%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (29)
23.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (10)
8.26%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
5.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed