The Student Room Group

Gcse literature

I have an upcoming mock in literature and I'm still struggling to revise, are there any effective ways of revising for literature?
Original post by jmichelle7
I have an upcoming mock in literature and I'm still struggling to revise, are there any effective ways of revising for literature?

Which texts are you currently studying?
Reply 2
Macbeth, an inspector calls and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. For the poems we're doing power and conflict
Macbeth, an inspector calls and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. For the poems we're doing power and conflict

What do you struggle on? Writing essays, analysing quotes, remembering quotes or something else?

I only did Macbeth for GCSE, so I can only provide help with that!

Hi, out of those, I only did Macbeth and AIC. For lit, it helps to just know some basic quotes for each text you can use for any theme asked. Instead of writing whole essays, just do essay plans, and test yourself on the context (I did Edexcel and context was worth half marks on one of the questions). What exam board are you doing?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 5hyl33n
What do you struggle on? Writing essays, analysing quotes, remembering quotes or something else?

I only did Macbeth for GCSE, so I can only provide help with that!

Yes please!
Reply 6
Original post by Aquarium 15
Hi, out of those, I only did Macbeth and AIC. For lit, it helps to just know some basic quotes for each text you can use for any theme asked. Instead of writing whole essays, just do essay plans, and test yourself on the context (I did Edexcel and context was worth half marks on one of the questions). What exam board are you doing?

thanks, what about comparing two texts. How do I go about answering them?
Yes please!

How about you send me a PM and explain to me what it is you are exactly struggling on. :smile:
thanks, what about comparing two texts. How do I go about answering them?

I don't know if I'm being helpful here, but when comparing (or just in general I guess) always give alternative interpretations and always use one word focus. It is easier to write your comparisons in separate paragraphs so the examiner can see the different points being made. Different exam boards have different success criteria though, what exam board are you doing?
Reply 9
I'm doing AQA.
I'm doing AQA.

I did Edexcel, and there was a lot of emphasis on readers response for each point being made, maybe this will be the same for you? You can always check on the AQA website if they have example answers and their success criteria online and look at the exam techniques used.

I don't think I ever did any comparison questions on our lit paper (only on Lang) so I think this is something specific to AQA. Sorry I couldn't be much help :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Aquarium 15
I did Edexcel, and there was a lot of emphasis on readers response for each point being made, maybe this will be the same for you? You can always check on the AQA website if they have example answers and their success criteria online and look at the exam techniques used.

I don't think I ever did any comparison questions on our lit paper (only on Lang) so I think this is something specific to AQA. Sorry I couldn't be much help :frown:

Thanks I'll go check it out.

If it’s quotes you’re struggling with I know revision cards help
Original post by username5250974

If you have access to it, can I please have the 2019 Edexcel GCSE English Literature Papers? It would be immensely appreciated if you do so?
Reply 14
For Inspector Calls we got given an essay structure which was BACON: Big idea (introduction) A(first appearance) Characteristics Other people's opinions of the character and then if you had time Name analysis of the character's name. To learn quotes I chose 3 key quotes per section of the essay for each character then chose the key word from each quote and then used the first letter from the key word to create a mnemonic. Sounds complicated but it's really easy to remember. I didn't bother with themes for inspector calls it's just more work. I pretty much did the same thing with the shakespeare and the novel but learnt key historical context facts.
Original post by Emmmma233
If it’s quotes you’re struggling with I know revision cards help

Yes it does. I split my revision card into scenes and wrote the quote on one side, then the explanation on the other e.g An Inspector Calls: I split the card into 3 parts and written the quote on one side for Mr Birling and the explanation on the other, so altogether I had 6 cards for each person. BY THE WAY THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR PLAYS THAT HAVE LOADS OF SCENES E.G MACBETH BEACUSE THERE WON'T BE MUCH SPACE TO WRITE BIG QUOTES.

Quick Reply

Latest