The Student Room Group

I'm an Early Childhood Studies student- AMA!

Hey gang!
1SecondsOfVamps here :biggrin:

I'm a third year BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies student at the University of Suffolk.
I only have a month left then I'm off to do my teacher training in September.
It is a fantastic degree for anyone wanting to work with children, I highly recommend.
In the wise words of my lecturer- 'If the children aren't your number one priority then you're in the wrong profession'

So, AMA- from modules to work experience to CPD. I'll be happy to answer anything :smile:
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hyy so glad to hear you have one month left..Im thinking of completing a early childhood top up degree but the dissertation freaks me out!How did you find you dissertation and what was your topic?What are the positives and negatives of the course?If you could go back what would you recommend to do more of?Thanks in advance!
Original post by Aarf12
Hyy so glad to hear you have one month left..Im thinking of completing a early childhood top up degree but the dissertation freaks me out!How did you find you dissertation and what was your topic?What are the positives and negatives of the course?If you could go back what would you recommend to do more of?Thanks in advance!

Hiya :biggrin:

Don't freak out about the dissertation! It's really not as bad as people say it is.
The content itself isn't difficult. It's just very lengthy and time-consuming, that's all. At Suffolk, dissertation is 9000 words but this will vary depending on the uni. My topic is on mental health. If you'd like me to, I am more than happy to talk more in depth about dissertation once I have finished and submitted mine.

Overall, third year modules have been quite interesting. I'm studying topics that I have never done before so it has been eye opening. However, at Suffolk, the learning is a lot more theoretical than practical compared to other unis such as Anglia Ruskin and Northampton.

Once you find a uni you really like, just go for it. It's only one year and having a BA can open up so many doors.

There is a lot of things I would do differently if I could go back in time! But the main thing would be to read, read, read. Specifically journal articles.

Hope that helps :h:
Reply 3
Hyy that would be brill to discuss further om dissertation ...thanks

I actually prefer more practical and wamted to study online so will look into Anglia Ruskin uni...

Yhh there arw soo many opportunities i really wanted to gwt it over and done with now.
My least favourite part is reading however it is level 3
Much aplreciated 😊😊
Original post by Aarf12
Hyy that would be brill to discuss further om dissertation ...thanks

I actually prefer more practical and wamted to study online so will look into Anglia Ruskin uni...

Yhh there arw soo many opportunities i really wanted to gwt it over and done with now.
My least favourite part is reading however it is level 3
Much aplreciated 😊😊

I highly recommend Anglia Ruskin! That's actually where I wanted to study, they even offered me a place but due to personal reason I had to go Suffolk instead.
What Anglia Ruskin campus are you thinking off?
Reply 5
I wanted to study by distant learning online so there is no campus
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Hey gang!

I'm a third year BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies student at the University of Suffolk.
It is a fantastic degree for anyone wanting to work with children, I highly recommend.
In the wise words of my lecturer- 'If the children aren't your number one priority then you're in the wrong profession'

So, AMA- from modules to work experience to CPD. I'll be happy to answer anything :smile:
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:

What do you learn as part of your studies in the three years of uni?
So in this field do you learn about childhood traumas and how someone's childhood affects them when they grow up?
Hey gang!

---

I'm going into my final year of early years education and I'm really nervous about my dissertation. Do you need a high mark? I'm aiming for a 2:1 degree. Not sure if I can get a 1st. I want to do it based on play or child development. Do you have any other ideas?
Hey gang!

---

I have applied through UCAS to study Early childhood studies from a few of my 5 choices. I have already received offers from all my choices. I think I am going to put Chester as my top choice as it looks great. The only issue I have is that I am not sure whether I would need another qualification as well to work in a nursery or preschool. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. It is also important as my A-Levels are not to do with childhood studies although I studied a BTEC in children's learning, play and development at GCSE. I currently study Maths, Biology and Physics.
Original post by 17sunnydays
I have applied through UCAS to study Early childhood studies from a few of my 5 choices. I have already received offers from all my choices. I think I am going to put Chester as my top choice as it looks great. The only issue I have is that I am not sure whether I would need another qualification as well to work in a nursery or preschool. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. It is also important as my A-Levels are not to do with childhood studies although I studied a BTEC in children's learning, play and development at GCSE. I currently study Maths, Biology and Physics.

Hello,
It's great to hear you've applied to study at Chester :smile: I have spoken to Jeanette Bailie, Programme Leader for Early Childhood Studies, and she said with a degree in Early Childhood Studies you will be qualified to work immediately as an Early Years Educator with 0-5 year olds (or as a Teaching Assistant) for example and many of our ECS Graduates go on to Masters study to become Teachers, Social Workers, Children’s Nurses. If you would like to discuss this with her further or have any questions about the course, please email [email protected] and I will put you in touch with Jeanette.
Best wishes,
Hayley
Original post by University of Chester
Hello,
It's great to hear you've applied to study at Chester :smile: I have spoken to Jeanette Bailie, Programme Leader for Early Childhood Studies, and she said with a degree in Early Childhood Studies you will be qualified to work immediately as an Early Years Educator with 0-5 year olds (or as a Teaching Assistant) for example and many of our ECS Graduates go on to Masters study to become Teachers, Social Workers, Children’s Nurses. If you would like to discuss this with her further or have any questions about the course, please email [email protected] and I will put you in touch with Jeanette.
Best wishes,
Hayley

Thank you for this confirmation. I'm really looking forward to hopefully, study at the University of Chester.
Original post by 17sunnydays
Thank you for this confirmation. I'm really looking forward to hopefully, study at the University of Chester.

You're welcome! Best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 13
So I applied for a primary education course and was accepted for a few of my courses however I also received a alternative offer for Early childhood studies although I was upset at first after looking into the course I found it quite interesting. Now I'm trying to decide between my top two universities whether to do a Primary education course or Early childhood studies.
depends what you want to do really. if you want to be a primary school teacher you can do any. I think primary education focuses on children aged 3+. I do early childhood studies and we're learning about children aged 0-7.
Reply 15
Original post by ILoveSunsets
depends what you want to do really. if you want to be a primary school teacher you can do any. I think primary education focuses on children aged 3+. I do early childhood studies and we're learning about children aged 0-7.

Yeah I'm really sure at the minute, I do like the younger years as I've volunteered in a nursery as well as a school. Does early childhood studies give you more options of jobs afterwards? I do know I want to work with children just unsure of age and I'm unsure if I want to be a primary teacher right now. It is also hard because I'm choosing between two different universities and different courses.
I think primary education leads to teaching. with early childhood studies there's a lot of stuff you can do, not just in schools

maybe email the uni or tutors to see what their course can let you do after you graduate. do you know what you want to do
Reply 17
I was thinking being a primary school teacher but now I'm unsure I'm like 50/50 now, I know that I want to work with children.
it's up to you but both course allow you to work with children. good luck!
Hi

I am about to start a degree in Ba early child hood studies for 3 years

Afterwards I want to become an early years teacher for 3-5 year olds

Would
I need QTS and pgce?

Latest

Trending

Trending