The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

I applied to the wrong universities

I have always underestimated myself and told myself I’m not good enough. I don’t know why but I convinced myself I’m not worth going to a good university and I couldn’t possibly get in.
I got five 9s, one 8, two 7s and one 6 at GCSE.
My Alevel predictions were A*A*A
Yet I applied to Bangor, Cardiff, Lancaster, Durham and York.
Lancaster, Durham and York are really good unis but I wish I’d believed in myself and at least attempted to apply for Cambridge and UCL.
I have firmed Durham, which I thought was good but on TSR people slate it and say it’s awful and for rejects.
I’m lost in what to do. I feel like I never give myself a chance to do the best I can and I don’t know why.
Durham isn’t awful. I do understand the rejects bit because most oxbridge applicants have Durham as one of the choices and those who didn’t get into oxbridge would go to Durham because the people who do get in would choose oxbridge over Durham most of the time.
Hello There

Durham is an excellent uni that is highly regarded by employers. If you really want to go to Cambridge, ucl, etc... you could take a gap year
Reply 3
No, you applied to the right universities based on what you would've actually gotten. It's just your college/sixth-form decided to inflate your grades (and most likely everyone else's) just to make themselves look good.

There will be clearing as well if you're not happy, but that's up to you.
Reply 4
Original post by Xarao
No, you applied to the right universities based on what you would've actually gotten. It's just your college/sixth-form decided to inflate your grades (and most likely everyone else's) just to make themselves look good.

There will be clearing as well if you're not happy, but that's up to you.

You don’t think I could get into UCL or Cambridge?
Original post by Anonymous
I have always underestimated myself and told myself I’m not good enough. I don’t know why but I convinced myself I’m not worth going to a good university and I couldn’t possibly get in.
Lancaster, Durham and York are really good unis but I wish I’d believed in myself and at least attempted to apply for Cambridge and UCL.
I have firmed Durham, which I thought was good but on TSR people slate it and say it’s awful and for rejects.
I’m lost in what to do. I feel like I never give myself a chance to do the best I can and I don’t know why.

There will be lots of people at Durham with grades like yours.....it is a top uni so I don't know why you are worrying. You could always do a postgrad at Cambridge or UCL but UCL does not have great student satisfaction scores so unless you particularly want to be in London, you'll probably be happier at Durham
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
There will be lots of people at Durham with grades like yours.....it is a top uni so I don't know why you are worrying. You could always do a postgrad at Cambridge or UCL but UCL does not have great student satisfaction scores so unless you particularly want to be in London, you'll probably be happier at Durham

Thank you, that’s reassuring :smile: I guess I could try and do my masters at Cambridge

Which degree are you planning to study?
Reply 8
You don’t think I could get into UCL or Cambridge?

I'm not trying to offend you, but hell no. UCL there's a chance, but Cambridge? 100% no.
Reply 9
Durham is a excellent uni, don't you worry. Many mothers would give their right arm for their child to go there!
Original post by Xarao

Original post by Xarao
I'm not trying to offend you, but hell no. UCL there's a chance, but Cambridge? 100% no.

What are you basing those assertions on?
Original post by Xarao

I have a friend who got in with lower grades than me, especially due to our contextual situations so idk what you’re on about
Original post by Daisy02
Durham is a excellent uni, don't you worry. Many mothers would give their right arm for their child to go there!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree are you planning to study?

Natural sciences
Natural sciences

Please don;t get hung up on Cambridge - it isn't for everyone and some of my best students go elsewhere because they prefer the course content. Durham is a very good university - get a good degree and it really won't matter :smile:

It sounds like you would do well at Durham. Not only is it an excellent university, but the collegiate system would provide you with an added support structure, which might be helpful. If you're not confident in yourself / your abilities it's great to take your first steps into adulthood with some added support, IMHO.
Durham is an excellent uni. My son is in the 1st year studying maths, and he loves it. It certainly isn't a lesser university, and it is an excellent 1st choice . The college system is excellent, so supportive, the colleges are like family's, (my sons college Trevelyan certainly is), and there are so many clubs and societies you can join. As a parent I am so proud he got into Durham, and people are always impressed when I say he is there, it is prestigious. Oxbridge applications can be brutal and brilliant students do not get in. I have been on the Oxford forum after the offers came out and so many brilliant students are so demoralised. And yes, there are plenty of oxbridge rejects at Durham , including My son! He was rejected from Oxford last year after interview and was predicted and achieved 4*s!!! It just shows how many hugely intelligent students go to Durham. (I must admit though my son has never been asked or heard anyone ask if they are Oxbridge rejects ). You will find that for 1 person that slates the Uni there will be many many more who are loving it. Please feel happy with your Durham offer, you will love it, it is a Brilliant uni.

Latest