The Student Room Group

DBS Update

Okay, so I got a DBS check last year before I started uni through a link the uni sent. However I didn’t sign up for the automatic annual update subscription. I’m on a Primary Ed course going into schools to teach. So should I get a new one this year and sign up for the update service? I know they don’t rechnically expire and the info on there hasn’t changed, I was just wondering if it would generally be good practice.
Original post by studyshauna
Okay, so I got a DBS check last year before I started uni through a link the uni sent. However I didn’t sign up for the automatic annual update subscription. I’m on a Primary Ed course going into schools to teach. So should I get a new one this year and sign up for the update service? I know they don’t rechnically expire and the info on there hasn’t changed, I was just wondering if it would generally be good practice.

Hi @studyshauna,
did you do your DBS check for your course at university? If it was for your course, DBS do not expire after one year so you should not have to renew it. I am sure the university will let you know if you need to. The update service is designed for you to share your DBS with other organisations to avoid having to go through it again- so for example, if you were doing some volunteering outside of your course, you would have to do it again, as you have not signed up for the update service- I hope this makes sense.
Laure
Reply 2
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi @studyshauna,
did you do your DBS check for your course at university? If it was for your course, DBS do not expire after one year so you should not have to renew it. I am sure the university will let you know if you need to. The update service is designed for you to share your DBS with other organisations to avoid having to go through it again- so for example, if you were doing some volunteering outside of your course, you would have to do it again, as you have not signed up for the update service- I hope this makes sense.
Laure

I got it for my course at university, but I thought that as I am going into schools they will want to ensure that’s it is up to date for safeguarding purposes e.g if I gained a conviction
Original post by studyshauna
I got it for my course at university, but I thought that as I am going into schools they will want to ensure that’s it is up to date for safeguarding purposes e.g if I gained a conviction

You'll need a new DBS for your first teaching post and I'd encourage you to subscribe to the update service [it's free] - it saves you having to get checked by any volunteering group.
Yes- indeed. Contrary to popular belief- DBS do not expire- but they are renewed regularly as good practice ( usually every 3 years by most institutions but it varies)- bearing in mind that the DBS is only truly accurate on the date it was issued. I would suggest that your university will keep on top of it as your visit in schools depend on it and I am sure they will let you know if you need to renew it so I would not worry. Finally, as @Muttley79 said, you will need to do one for your first teaching post or any volunteering job, you will do. So the update service is a good option. Bear in mind, you have only a small window to opt in- 28 days after the DBS was issued.

Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending