I study medicine abroad at Dnipro Medical Institute- Ask Me Anything!

Watch
Hani01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone, I’m Hani and I’m a first year at Dnipro Medical Institute in Ukraine. It’s recently becoming a hotspot for British students, mainly due to graduate entry, pricing and large British community.

Ask me anything!
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6431108
Last edited by barror1; 3 months ago
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There may be a large British student community there but how many of them actually make it to the end of the course, graduate and become doctors in the UK?

Where is the filter point for students who haven’t done well enough to progress? Some universities in Eastern Europe put this filter in 1st or 2nd year to cut down the numbers.

What’s the level of difficulty of exams? You’re all making a big commitment of time, money and moving to a new country - it would be silly to do that if the exams are stupidly difficult and deceptive like they are in Czech Republic for example.
Hani01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by asif007)
There may be a large British student community there but how many of them actually make it to the end of the course, graduate and become doctors in the UK?

Where is the filter point for students who haven’t done well enough to progress? Some universities in Eastern Europe put this filter in 1st or 2nd year to cut down the numbers.

What’s the level of difficulty of exams? You’re all making a big commitment of time, money and moving to a new country - it would be silly to do that if the exams are stupidly difficult and deceptive like they are in Czech Republic for example.
The university has already been succesful in graduating doctors that end up working in the UK. *Personally*, I know one individual but I also know that there a lot more that I don't personally know. The GMC accept the university, so it comes down to the individuals passing the tests from the GMC (currently PLAB but will be UKMLA),

I don't really like the use of the phrase filter point... but I understand where you're coming from. In year 3 there is the national medical (or dental) KROK-1 exam. Standardised across the whole country, a big exam that every medical and dental student have to pass to proceed onto following years. They give you a few opportunities to resit. In year 6 (or 5 for dentistry) there is KROK-2 which is similar to KROK-1 but focuses more on the clinical side of things. Both of these must be passed for graduation. I see it more as setting higher standards for students than intentionally used to filter people out.

The exams I've had are as challenging as they should be. They test us a lot here really keeping us on our toes. If you fail an exam, there are opportunities to resit but you cannot pass the subject and obtain the necessary credits without having passed everything. If you study, you will pass. If you don't, you will fail. It's fairly black and white because of how they pass/fail us. They grade us 1-5, 5 being the highest score and 3 being a pass. It's not that difficult to get a 3, but it should raise alarm bells in your head that you should work harder. So to answer your question, it's not that difficult to get a 3, but quite difficult to get a 5.

Hope that answers everything and thanks for the good questions
Last edited by Hani01; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
in your opinion, how much time do you think should be invested in studying for dentistry? Also, do you think the support that is provided from medlinks is effective?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads