Is it acceptable for me to come home?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, so I live hours away from my university and want to live back in my accommodation. I'm almost certain I'm going through another mental breakdown and being at home is largely making it worse due to having emotionally abusive parents (and I really don't know how I'm coping atm). I can't eat, sleep or concentrate and I've been having at least 3 panic attacks a day since being home due to dissociation and I'm fearing that my depression is, indeed back. I have attempted to reach out to my family during this time but I'm guilt tripped whenever I express my feelings.
For example, I asked for a hug this morning and it ended in my dad asking why the family isn't good enough and shouting down the stairs at me that I'm selfish. If I were to be back at my Uni accom, this is what I see at home and I was mentally more stable there than at my family's home where I don't feel welcome. I have to pay for my own food, they didn't celebrate my birthday during lockdown and won't even hug me. I have support back at uni but my issue is how would I be as safe as possible on transport and is it morally wrong to want to ensure I don't suffer anymore?
Tianax
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Most definitely not wrong for wanting to escape a toxic environment. If I were you I would absolutely move back into your accommodation as the environment that your living in sounds detrimental to your mental health. In terms of public transport it is quite risky but as long as you limit the amount of times that you touch surfaces and make sure that you don’t touch your face until you’ve gotten home and washed your hands, I’d say go for it.
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Go back 100%
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, so I live hours away from my university and want to live back in my accommodation. I'm almost certain I'm going through another mental breakdown and being at home is largely making it worse due to having emotionally abusive parents (and I really don't know how I'm coping atm). I can't eat, sleep or concentrate and I've been having at least 3 panic attacks a day since being home due to dissociation and I'm fearing that my depression is, indeed back. I have attempted to reach out to my family during this time but I'm guilt tripped whenever I express my feelings.
For example, I asked for a hug this morning and it ended in my dad asking why the family isn't good enough and shouting down the stairs at me that I'm selfish. If I were to be back at my Uni accom, this is what I see at home and I was mentally more stable there than at my family's home where I don't feel welcome. I have to pay for my own food, they didn't celebrate my birthday during lockdown and won't even hug me. I have support back at uni but my issue is how would I be as safe as possible on transport and is it morally wrong to want to ensure I don't suffer anymore?
The government says that you are allowed to travel/move if you are removing yourself from an abusive environment.

Do you still have access to your accommodation, i.e. the key? Otherwise, you may have to ask the accommodation provider if it's okay for you to return (but I don't see why not if you'll be paying rent).
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You can move to escape an abusive environment
If you genuinely feel that it’s better for you then contact the uni to make sure you can.
It’s very difficult for lots of people right now do find the best way to cope that you can.
Is your support network still available?
Look after yourself.
I’ll send you a hug if you needed one :console:
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Sending you a hug x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (233)
41.91%
The paper was reasonable (236)
42.45%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
6.47%

Watched Threads