Shrey22
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,I was wondering what the BEST halls are at Portsmouth university?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shrey22)
Hi,I was wondering what the BEST halls are at Portsmouth university?
Hey,

The university offers a wide range of options from studio rooms to shared flats of up to eight people.
Is there any specifications that you have in terms of accommodation?? (Budget? Catered or self catered? location?)
The best way to divide them is between the catered and the self catered halls where with the catered halls are Burrel and Rees Hall, and all the others (Catherine, Greetham, Margaret Rule, Rosalind Franklin, Harry Law, Chaucer, and Trafalgar) are self-catered.
All the accommodations listed above (both catered and self catered) are en-suite except for Bateson whose bathrooms are shared.

Let me know what you are looking for in specific with the accommodations so I can go into detail on what best fits your specifications.
I will also add the link to the halls of residence page in the university website for you to look through the images and see what the buildings look like.
https://www.port.ac.uk/student-life/...s-of-residence

Doreen-maria - Official Student Rep 😀
Last edited by University of Portsmouth Student Rep; 1 year ago
Shrey22
Rep:
?
Hi, thank you for the reply. Is it still possible for first year students to get studio rooms? And I am deciding between Chaucer and Catherine house but I’ve heard bad stuff about Catherine house. Also which room is more spacious? Thank you so much!
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

Yes, it is possible for a first year student to book a studio room. Both Chaucer and Catherine are under different companies that the University works with so the bookings for them would be through their individual company websites instead of the University which I will link them for you down below.
With Catherine the bookings are done through the student housing company ( https://thestudenthousingcompany.com...atherine-house ) and for Chaucer the bookings are done through Unite Students ( https://www.unitestudents.com/portsmouth/chaucer-house ).
In terms of room sizes Catherine has many more size options where they categorise it between different types like the standard studio, classic, deluxe and many more but the facilities offered in the rooms are the same (the bed size, closet, stove, microwave, study desk and chair and all). The only difference is the slight sqm upgrade as you go higher.
Chaucer offers only one standard size studio and an accessible option for the disabled.
The rooms in General for Chaucer are descent in size even for the shared flats so if you need something spacious then I would go for the the bigger options that Catherine offer also because they are also more affordable in price compared to the standard studio in Chaucer.
The same price Chaucer charges per week could get you a deluxe / classic penthouse room with Catherine.

Hope this helps.
Shrey22
Rep:
?
Thank you for the reply! Will I be able to select Catherine or Chaucer on the accommodation form which was sent from the university? On the university website only the en-suite options appear for both so does this mean I can only book en-suite through the university, and if I want to book the studio I go through the individual website and not the form sent?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

With Catherine and Chaucer you can book their en-suite rooms in the shared flats through the university but when it comes to studios you have to book them straight with their company websites.
The accommodations that offer studio flats from the university lists are Catherine, Chaucer, Greetham, Margaret rule, Harry Law, Rosalind Franklin and Trafalgar. Out of these Greetham and Chaucer's studio flats are rented through the Unite Students website, Catherine's studio flats are rented through the The Student Housing Company website and Trafalgar, Margaret rule, Harry Law and Rosalind Franklin are rented from the University of Portsmouth when filling in your application for your hall preferences under the room type.
If you are looking for studio options that you can apply straight through the university you can try the ones I have listed above if any is of interest being that Catherine and Chaucer's Studios are only booked through their own company websites.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Catherine House is a very nice place to live, and the security they have are top notch. The only issue I ever found was that the lifts have a habit of breaking from time to time, and that if you take your bike (which few people do) you have to drag it down a flight of stairs to gain access to the bike shed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
16.15%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (32)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
14.58%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (52)
27.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.75%

Watched Threads