Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi all,

I'm currently an ACCS anaesthetics trainee in CT1. I am not very interested in anaesthetics, but jumped into the program as it's known to be deliver good 1-1 consultant teaching etc and high satisfaction levels,

In hindsight, I should have explored my options looking into things like psychiatry and paediatrics via an FY3, which I have always found more interesting but was dissuaded against applying for them due to staff shortages etc.

I did not want to drop-out of the program just yet, as I need to see if these other specialities are actually for me, so is an OOPC an option to do this? I was also thinking of switching to GP training, so I could get 6m of psych and paeds with better pay than I would get if I did an F3/LAT post (I definitely do not want to be a GP however).

Thank you!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all,

I'm currently an ACCS anaesthetics trainee in CT1. I am not very interested in anaesthetics, but jumped into the program as it's known to be deliver good 1-1 consultant teaching etc and high satisfaction levels,

In hindsight, I should have explored my options looking into things like psychiatry and paediatrics via an FY3, which I have always found more interesting but was dissuaded against applying for them due to staff shortages etc.

I did not want to drop-out of the program just yet, as I need to see if these other specialities are actually for me, so is an OOPC an option to do this? I was also thinking of switching to GP training, so I could get 6m of psych and paeds with better pay than I would get if I did an F3/LAT post (I definitely do not want to be a GP however).

Thank you!
I don't know about the logistics of arranging OOPC within anaesthetics and shall wait for one of the anaesthetists to come along, however, I would suggest that starting GP training solely to get experience in psych and paeds is not a very sensible idea. For a start, that would mean a minimum of two years committment to the GP training programme, at which point you will be only a year off from CCT. Secondly, you would need to still meet all the ePortfolio/ARCP requirements for GP during that time - I can't imagine it would be much fun writing copious reflections on something you're actually not interested in at all. I think if you want paeds/psych experience that goes beyond sporadic locums you're probably looking at 6 month trust SHO jobs.

I would suggest talking to your educational supervisor in the first instance - s/he will have experience in counseling juniors and will be able to suggest the best way forward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (266)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (205)
43.52%

Watched Threads