The Student Room Group

Best a-level combinations for Economics degree

Hello:smile:, I would like to do Economics Bsc at a top uni (such as LSE). I am aware that the best possible combination is Econ, Maths and Further Maths however correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think getting a B in FM ( I am not gifted in maths and do not 'love' the subject) will be worth the pressure and possibly wasting the opportunity of learning something more related to what I want to do(-is Economics Bsc heavy math based??) if this ends up wasting my opportunity of getting into a university such as LSE(do you perhaps know anyone who got in without fm or someone who didn't because of not doing so well in fm?). My options were geography and politics but I've read some threads on gov and politics and I was hit with a lot of contrasting views; most were saying that it's a 'softer' subject and not good for the 'top unis'... (I would like to study an interesting a level.. any suggestions?). Honestly I'm not too sure about geo as well since it has stuff on rivers and such but at the moment it is my first choice (hopefully after I get some reassurance that fm isn't worth it lol). There are also options of taking sociology(-again, seems like it's seriously not liked by the unis too), psychology and english language. Thanks for any answers and have the best day :wink:
Original post by tarasewiczE11387
Hello:smile:, I would like to do Economics Bsc at a top uni (such as LSE). I am aware that the best possible combination is Econ, Maths and Further Maths however correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think getting a B in FM ( I am not gifted in maths and do not 'love' the subject) will be worth the pressure and possibly wasting the opportunity of learning something more related to what I want to do(-is Economics Bsc heavy math based??) if this ends up wasting my opportunity of getting into a university such as LSE(do you perhaps know anyone who got in without fm or someone who didn't because of not doing so well in fm?). My options were geography and politics but I've read some threads on gov and politics and I was hit with a lot of contrasting views; most were saying that it's a 'softer' subject and not good for the 'top unis'... (I would like to study an interesting a level.. any suggestions?). Honestly I'm not too sure about geo as well since it has stuff on rivers and such but at the moment it is my first choice (hopefully after I get some reassurance that fm isn't worth it lol). There are also options of taking sociology(-again, seems like it's seriously not liked by the unis too), psychology and english language. Thanks for any answers and have the best day :wink:

That 'soft subject' stuff doesn't exist any longer and can be safely ignored :smile: Same goes for unis 'not liking' sociology: it works well for plenty of Cambridge applicants...
Obviously maths and economics are essential, but I don't think not doing FM is fatal to an application. Yes, Politics is an obvious third choice, but I don't think you have to have a 'relevant' third subject: just do something which you think you'll enjoy and therefore get a good grade in.

The grades you get are at least as important as your subject choices, once you've fulfilled any mandatory requirements for your degree choice (such as maths). You should be aiming at A*AA or higher to be able to make a competitive application.

Quick Reply

Latest