The Student Room Group

Dissertation formatting

Hey, I hope everyone is doing well!

I just wanted advice on what I should do. So I've done my dissertation on google docs and have a copy as a Microsoft Word Doc. It was double spaced. Then I emailed this to myself, however half of it was double spaced and the rest was single spaced. Even though on Google Docs it was all double spaced. I got in touch with my supervisor and she said to get in touch with the school office when it reopens next week for help.

I was just wondering has this ever happened to anyone else?

Many thanks!!
Original post by Exams 2017
Hey, I hope everyone is doing well!

I just wanted advice on what I should do. So I've done my dissertation on google docs and have a copy as a Microsoft Word Doc. It was double spaced. Then I emailed this to myself, however half of it was double spaced and the rest was single spaced. Even though on Google Docs it was all double spaced. I got in touch with my supervisor and she said to get in touch with the school office when it reopens next week for help.

I was just wondering has this ever happened to anyone else?

Many thanks!!

.docx & .doc are not ISO formats and will change when you move between software and PCs with different settings.

If you use onedrive it tends to protect well against this with live editing but that cant help you now.

The good news is you can simply go over it all and increase line spacing again. Its really not that big a deal, it should take 10 minutes to do.

Your supervisor will just tell you to fix it.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
.docx & .doc are not ISO formats and will change when you move between software and PCs with different settings.

If you use onedrive it tends to protect well against this with live editing but that cant help you now.

The good news is you can simply go over it all and increase line spacing again. Its really not that big a deal, it should take 10 minutes to do.

Your supervisor will just tell you to fix it.

Do you know how I can increase line spacing just go through it all again I take it? Thanks for replying! 😊
Do you know how I can increase line spacing just go through it all again I take it? Thanks for replying! 😊

Just highlight over the text then hit the line space button, (its normally 3 small lines with a vertical double ended arrow) then select 2, you might have to do it chapter by chapter but still shouldnt be that bad.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Just highlight over the text then hit the line space button, (its normally 3 small lines with a vertical double ended arrow) then select 2, you might have to do it chapter by chapter but still shouldnt be that bad.

Perfect thanks!!
Reply 5
Original post by mnot

I just did this and when I emailed it over - its still coming uo half double spaced and half single spaced 😭😭 I emailed my school office so hopefully they can help
I just did this and when I emailed it over - its still coming uo half double spaced and half single spaced 😭😭 I emailed my school office so hopefully they can help

Maybe you have a bug or something in the formatting, this is why lots of people use latex for large documents.
Have a play with it & figure it out, look on the microsoft help forums, almost everything possible is on there.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Maybe you have a bug or something in the formatting, this is why lots of people use latex for large documents.
Have a play with it & figure it out, look on the microsoft help forums, almost everything possible is on there.

Okay no worries, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending