Is Germany a shining beacon of excellence we should all aspire to?

Watch
username5251500
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I mean over the years, they seem to have got praise for doing the right thing nearly all the time. Are they the definition of a utopia country that gets everything right 99% of the time?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by username5251500)
I mean over the years, they seem to have got praise for doing the right thing nearly all the time. Are they the definition of a utopia country that gets everything right 99% of the time?
Was the other 1% starting two world wars and losing both of them?
Cell_D
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am not an expert on Germany or its culture but I know a few people who are German through university and they are seriously organised. They really do not like being unprepared for anything - I really admire it.
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Probably
username5251504
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Cell_D)
I am not an expert on Germany or its culture but I know a few people who are German through university and they are seriously organised. They really do not like being unprepared for anything - I really admire it.
So that explains my desires for as many things as possible to be perfect, my dad's grandma was German. :lol:
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Japan is also notorious for excellent structure and execution.
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
yes.
Cell_D
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Very much so.
username5251504
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
yes.
.sey
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
After two world wars and the Cold War, Germany’s culture and society began to progress at at incredible rate. It was an incredibly liberal society in all aspects. Visiting Berlin was an amazing experience, seeing the difference in East and West Berlin. 30 years later you could still see the difference in the development of the two sides
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Essentially the major powers that lost the Second World War bounced back even better than the West.
It’s easier to lose a war and bounce back than win a war.
Last edited by Greywolf.; 6 months ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No.
High taxation, high public spending, losing two world wars, lax border control, accepting foreign nationals into their military, granting such foreign nationals citizenship by naturalisation instead of deporting after serving imprisonment sentences for high profile serious crimes committed on german soil. :eek:
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Essentially the major powers that lost the Second World War bounced back even better than the West.
I think it is the poison of complacency.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
High taxation, high public spending, losing two world wars, lax border control, accepting foreign nationals into their military, granting such foreign nationals citizenship by naturalisation instead of deporting after serving imprisonment sentences for high profile serious crimes committed on german soil. :eek:
Yet, they are performing better than us with our fantastic system and tight borders.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What happened in the twentieth century? The answer is no.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Cell_D)
Didnt work for them in Barbarossa.
999tigger
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Oversimplification and fails to take into account Germany was reconstructed by the allies. America had lots of money and the UK paid by bankrupting itself. They should have left them to it.
999tigger
Report 6 months ago
Yep Pearl Harbour went well for them...
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Oversimplification and fails to take into account Germany was reconstructed by the allies. America had lots of money and the UK paid by bankrupting itself. They should have left them to it.
Oh definitely, Western Germany couldn’t have survived without Bizonia and the various aid plans given to them by the Americans. If they’d left them to it they wouldn’t be in the position they are now, very far behind probably
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
- Start a war
- Kill millions
- Lose the war
- Have the country split in two for decades
- Get a **** tone of American economic aid
- And boom you have the modern "utopian" German state
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise