The Student Room Group

Imperial MSc Finance And Accounting Vs LSE MSc Accounting And Finance

Hey
everyone, I was very lucky to receive offers from both of the institutions and facing a very hard choice between the two, here are the pros from my observation for each programme:

IMPERIAL
*The course is more practical
* Optional modules seem to be more interesting
*More emphasis on careers, rather than academy (Opportunity to take on extra non-assessed modules such as VBA/Python to facilitate further development, less academic hours, again more practical)

LSE:
*Slighly stronger reputation in London where I plan to work
*Significantly stronger reputation abroad (in case I decide to relocate in the future)
*Even though the course is known to be not their flagship, with the electives it can be made identical to their MSc Finance course with the exception of 1 module. However the modules are taught in the department of Accounting rather than Finance.

I would really appreciate any thoughts!
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by GarSam
Hey
everyone, I was very lucky to receive offers from both of the institutions and facing a very hard choice between the two, here are the pros from my observation for each programme:

IMPERIAL
*The course is more practical
* Optional modules seem to be more interesting
*More emphasis on careers, rather than academy (Opportunity to take on extra non-assessed modules such as VBA/Python to facilitate further development, less academic hours, again more practical)

LSE:
*Slighly stronger reputation in London where I plan to work
*Significantly stronger reputation abroad (in case I decide to relocate in the future)
*Even though the course is known to be not their flagship, with the electives it can be made identical to their MSc Finance course with the exception of 1 module. However the modules are taught in the department of Accounting rather than Finance.

I would really appreciate any thoughts!

LSE. Reputation trumps all

Edit:

Let me expand on this.
I currently have offers from both LSE & Imperial for MSc Finance - and LSE is better without a doubt.
If you're studying finance, your dream target is likely (or will be, once you begin) to join an IB in a FO position. LSE is unparalleled in much better than Imperial in that purpose.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by michelmerveille
Imperial, LSE is good, but the established top 3 in the UK is Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial.

Also if you want some tailored/individual support for careers and practical oriented studies, don't go to LSE. On the contrary, if you feel like you would not use help career management-wise and prefer traditional lectures in the strict academic sense, you should consider it.

"the established top 3 in the UK is Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial." -> for STEM, sure

But LSE is better than Imperial for social sciences.

"Also if you want some tailored/individual support for careers and practical oriented studies, don't go to LSE. On the contrary, if you feel like you would not use help career management-wise and prefer traditional lectures in the strict academic sense, you should consider it." -> This is biased af.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending