The Student Room Group

Which nerves supply the hip joint ?

From this page https://www.instantanatomy.net/leg/joints/hipnervesupply.html

I learned that the hip joint is innervated by the femoral nerve 'because of the rectus femoris muscle' And the sciatic nerve 'because of the quadratis femoris muscle' And by the posterior division of the obturator nerve.

I don’t understand the concept of innervation 'because of a muscle', I don’t understand what they mean by the (because of —————— femoris) part.
What does the rectus femurs muscle have to do with innervating the hip joint ?
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Good morning!

You are quite right in querying this terminology. I think the phrasing of this section of the site is confusing - it is probably an error introduced inadvertently by non-medical editors of the text in an attempt to correct some other e.g. grammar issue - I regularly come across several such examples in my editing work [of research papers].

I had a quick glance at other sections of the website, and they appear very authoritative and accurate, so this might be an odd oversight e.g. the nerve to the quadratus femoris also supplies the hip joint, not "because" of the former, as clarified by the attached pic from the bible of anatomy.

BTW, I notice you are trying out studying in the early morning now - how are you finding it?

Be safe!
Regards,
M.P1050008.JPG

Alright, no problems then, thank you.

Studying in the morning isn't too bad! But I only shifted a few days ago so we'll see how that works out XD
Thanks again.
@VeryNewMedic

Hi in relation to your other Q {apologies to other members for apparent irrelevance + to VNM: you will have to do a lateral plank exercise to view this pic!:sorry:

P1050011.JPG

The website won't let me rep you so here is a classic thank you instead; thank you!
Original post by VeryNewMedic
The website won't let me rep you so here is a classic thank you instead; thank you!

No worries VNM!
@VeryNewMedic

Hi in relation to your other Q {apologies to other members for apparent irrelevance + to VNM: you will have to do a lateral plank exercise to view this pic!:sorry:

P1050011.JPG

Please stop posting pictures of copyrighted resources. You know you shouldn't be doing this. They're all over SH, and it's making a lot of work for the CT to have to delete them all.

Summarising text is fine, but you must know that taking photos of books and posting them up on a public forum is copyright infringement.
Original post by Reality Check
Please stop posting pictures of copyrighted resources. You know you shouldn't be doing this. They're all over SH, and it's making a lot of work for the CT to have to delete them all.

Summarising text is fine, but you must know that taking photos of books and posting them up on a public forum is copyright infringement.

Yes you might be right, although I thought that it would be ok as there is no fiduciary incentive or attempt to sell anything - was just trying to explain some concepts to a young student, as it is not possible to upload pics on certain private pages of the site. However, I have deleted all I could. Thanks for the reminder!
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes you might be right, although I thought that it would be ok as there is no fiduciary incentive or attempt to sell anything - was just trying to explain some concepts to a young student, as it is not possible to upload pics on certain private pages of the site. However, I have deleted all I could. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks, M-S :smile: I know you're only trying to help students, and you do write some fantastic content which helps students enormously. I understand (and sympathise) that often the best way of explaining a difficult concept is via a diagram, but we can't upload copyrighted resources to TSR in this manner.

Thanks for your understanding and help :smile:

@Gothic Kitten

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending