If a coronavirus vaccine is made, would you take it?

Watch
Poll: If a coronavirus vaccine is made, would you take it?
Yes (41)
68.33%
No (13)
21.67%
If I've already had it, then I won't. (6)
10%
cookingwithgas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Poll
jerrywow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Really hope it'll gone soon
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by jerrywow)
Really hope it'll gone soon
It won't

If you're showing symptoms it's too late for a vaccine to work.
Everybody is at risk, just some are at more risk than others.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That's only those dying. Doesn't cover those who get it, suffer hugely, but roughly recover. Which is a large percentage.

Severe lung damage is likely for everyone who catches this. But of course, you know better, sure...
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am working in ITU in London at the moment. Believe me you don't have to ve at risk to get it. I was looking after a 39 year old man with no underlying conditions. He was ventilated and as a result of acute kidney failure he was also being dialysed.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There have been cases of healthy young people who have died from it. Sure it’s less likely, but why would you take that risk?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sure.
And there will be some with underlying risks who get it and will be fine.
Just as there are people with no underlying issues who die.
But why take the risk? You just sound pointlessly arrogant.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It’s not as if getting a vaccine means you’re prioritising coronavirus over your spinal illness.
It’s one less thing to worry about, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t take it if you were able to.
Is it all vaccines that you’re opposed to?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cookingwithgas)
Poll
I would be glad to be a guinea pig for any vaccine. If it helps to save other people's lives, why not?
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I would be glad to be a guinea pig for any vaccine. If it helps to save other people's lives, why not?
Hahah that's what I was going to say too :nyan:
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Don't think my dad would let me
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That’s quite an ignorant thing to say, everyone is at risk of getting it.

I know I’m going to get it first chance I get, then I can start going to the gym again!
Last edited by Greywolf.; 6 months ago
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think, strategically it makes sense to only only vaccinate people 'at risk', but also those people who are more likely to spread the virus through interacting with many people per day.
Toscana
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
yeah i would, weve seen what happens to anti vaxxers
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'd happily take it and contribute to actual good herd immunity (not the crap the gov were going on about at the start of the outbreak). While I'm unlikely to get severe disease, I'm in contact with people who would be unlikely to get the vaccine due to health reasons (immunocompromise people usually can't get most vaccines) and so I would hate to spread it. Additionally the virus is unlikely to just up and disappear so incase it's still kicking about by the time I'm old and in the danger zone/incase I get an underlying health condition it's also long term preservation.

(alongside the fact I don't want to get ill ofc)
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As long as we know it works, yes all the way.
username4952620
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
yes boo I wanna go Bali one day, can’t go if I’m dead
anaindiemood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No I wouldn’t, not yet anyway. Firstly there are people in more vulnerable groups who should be offered the vaccine first, similarly with the flu jab, pregnant women older people and people with respiratory conditions should be offered it first. Ive also done some research through medical journals about what is truly required in the production of a vaccine and for them to roll one out in a matter of months would be somewhat inconceivable as the clinical stages etc usually take YEARS. If you were to start mass producing a covid vaccine there would be so little evidence on the side effects it could cause in the future even if in the initial stages it proved to be effective. I tried to attach a picture which talks about the usual time frames vaccines are developed under however it hasn’t attached. It describes the 5 year period needed to pass clinical trials and then a further 5-10 years to appropriately distribute the vaccine. Of course it varies from medicine to medicine but 7.6 years was the average time taken from when the vaccine passes the first clinical stage to its release. So I’d be slightly hesitant to take any vaccine offered to me in the near future that’s for sure.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ara.lu)
Wow. Just to clarify, you're saying COVID can cause AKI in people without any preceding kidney impairement?
There’s a number of factors causing it, but yes AKI is incredibly common in critically ill patients with covid-19
anaindiemood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Exactly. I’m not at all an anti vaxxer, I think they’re essential in controlling disease spread and providing herd immunity. But a vaccine so soon?? I’m sceptical...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.1%
I'm not sure (27)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.16%
I'm not a current university student (288)
47.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed