swottymurph
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am starting uni in sept and needing to sort my student finance out. I have read my course will qualify me for the new NHS bursary 2030 but I can’t fond information on how to apply for it and if that is to pay towards my course or whether it’s for my jeep can anyone help me in how I apply for it and what it is to be used for
vetstudent123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you can use the money for whatever you want. As for applying, when you begin your student finance application it asks you a question about whether your degree qualifies for an NHS bursary (or something along those lines), so you just select yes and they'll take it from there. I don't know if you need to do anything extra after but I'd imagine they will inform you if they need any additional information.
Shirohige
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by vetstudent123)
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you can use the money for whatever you want. As for applying, when you begin your student finance application it asks you a question about whether your degree qualifies for an NHS bursary (or something along those lines), so you just select yes and they'll take it from there. I don't know if you need to do anything extra after but I'd imagine they will inform you if they need any additional information.
Actually from what I've read on here, Sfe has no part in the process it's all done via NHS. Have a Google I'm sure there is a website on it.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As for applying, when you begin your student finance application it asks you a question about whether your degree qualifies for an NHS bursary (or something along those lines), so you just select yes and they'll take it from there.
I'm applying for a healthcare course that is eligible for the new grant and I was informed not to tick the box for the NHS Bursary on the Student Finance application as we do not receive the NHS Bursary. The NHS Bursary is for Medical & Dentistry students in their later years of training. The new yearly £5000+ is a grant from the government.

(Original post by swottymurph)
I am starting uni in sept and needing to sort my student finance out. I have read my course will qualify me for the new NHS bursary 2030 but I can’t fond information on how to apply for it and if that is to pay towards my course or whether it’s for my jeep can anyone help me in how I apply for it and what it is to be used for
NHSBSA is currently stating "We’re working with the Department of Health and Social Care to finalise details about the funding. This includes when the application window will open and building you a new online system to make applying as easy as possible." So judging from this, we'll apply for the grant separately from student finance via an online system that they have yet to make public. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-s...tudent-funding
As for what it's used for, it's to help with living costs. It may be rent, bills, travel costs, groceries, childcare (there's an extra £1,000 for childcare available though)... anything really. You don't have to pay it towards your course tuition fees (you can access a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England for that).
Last edited by moosec; 3 months ago
vetstudent123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by moosec)
I'm applying for a healthcare course that is eligible for the new grant and I was informed not to tick the box for the NHS Bursary on the Student Finance application as we do not receive the NHS Bursary. The NHS Bursary is for Medical & Dentistry students in their later years of training. The new yearly £5000+ is a grant from the government.

NHSBSA is currently stating "We’re working with the Department of Health and Social Care to finalise details about the funding. This includes when the application window will open and building you a new online system to make applying as easy as possible." So judging from this, we'll apply for the grant separately from student finance via an online system that they have yet to make public. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-s...tudent-funding
As for what it's used for, it's to help with living costs. It may be rent, bills, travel costs, groceries, childcare (there's an extra £1,000 for childcare available though)... anything really. You don't have to pay it towards your course tuition fees (you can access a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England for that).
My bad, didn't realise it was a different grant. My course has nothing to do with NHS, I only commented because I remember they asked about the NHS bursary whenever I apply for my student finance.
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My bad, didn't realise it was a different grant. My course has nothing to do with NHS, I only commented because I remember they asked about the NHS bursary whenever I apply for my student finance.
That’s okay! It’s a confusing thing & the difference isn’t widely known even by NHS applicants
tezli69
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can apply via NHSBA from 1st July. It is separate from student loans
13jolliffetre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya!
I'm having a lot of the same trouble!
I am applying to do Speech and Language therapy which comes under the £5,00 NHS grant too.
I am still not entirely sure what I'm doing, but I have found out that you can log in to something called BOSS, I'm hoping to apply or find out how to apply through that. Only trouble... I haven't yet received an activation email to set up the account.
I will try and keep you updated though!
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 13jolliffetre)
Hiya!
I am applying to do Speech and Language therapy which comes under the £5,00 NHS grant too.
I am still not entirely sure what I'm doing, but I have found out that you can log in to something called BOSS, I'm hoping to apply or find out how to apply through that. Only trouble... I haven't yet received an activation email to set up the account.
That system is for the current elements of the Learning Support Fund, not the new ones - the system for the new Training Grant will be going live on the 1st July.

The guidance on their website states: “You can apply for NHS LSF from 1 July when the online application system is available. You should not apply on any other systems as your application will be rejected.”

Keep an eye on the Learning Support Fund page for more details
tezli69
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 13jolliffetre)
Hiya!
Ah thank you. If I find out anything I will post on here too. 😊
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve found out more info - BOSS is the system for the NHS Bursary. We don’t get the NHS Bursary (as the Bursary is for Medical & Dentistry students.)
We get the new Training Grant, which is part of the Learning Support Fund. It’s a different system to BOSS, and the system currently isn’t live until 1st July.
There is a system live for the previous elements of the LSF, such as placement costs, but you can’t apply for the new grant on this system.

Check back on the LSF website from 1st July
Lumehs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moosec)
That system is for the current elements of the Learning Support Fund, not the new ones - the system for the new Training Grant will be going live on the 1st July.

The guidance on their website states: “You can apply for NHS LSF from 1 July when the online application system is available. You should not apply on any other systems as your application will be rejected.”

Keep an eye on the Learning Support Fund page for more details
thanks
bimbibap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone looking to apply for the £5000 - £8000 grant for 2020 - apply here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund.

Application system is now OPEN - make sure to read whether you are eligible

Just scroll down and click login. It will then prompt you to register if you haven’t done so and then apply. Also, your application won’t be submitted until you have provided evidence that you are entitled to the loan in the form of your student finance letter. (You can upload a picture of the original letter) If you have not/will not applied for a student loan through SFE, then make sure you pick that option and go through the next steps.

Also if you want to also apply for the parental support fund, you must apply for that separately as well as applying for NHS LSF.

Make sure to also complete the questionnaire after as it will ask if you will want to top up the £5000 (up to £8000), they will then make sure you meet the requirements. But you should know if you do. Apart for the £1000 extra for certain regions as they have not disclosed yet what regions you have to study in to be eligible.
JennyB16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heyy, any updates?The application is now pending for me after I sent the student finance confirmation letter on the NHS learning fund website (been 1 week now).
eda_sah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bimbibap)
Anyone looking to apply for the £5000 - £8000 grant for 2020 - apply here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund.

Application system is now OPEN - make sure to read whether you are eligible

Just scroll down and click login. It will then prompt you to register if you haven’t done so and then apply. Also, your application won’t be submitted until you have provided evidence that you are entitled to the loan in the form of your student finance letter. (You can upload a picture of the original letter) If you have not/will not applied for a student loan through SFE, then make sure you pick that option and go through the next steps.

Also if you want to also apply for the parental support fund, you must apply for that separately as well as applying for NHS LSF.

Make sure to also complete the questionnaire after as it will ask if you will want to top up the £5000 (up to £8000), they will then make sure you meet the requirements. But you should know if you do. Apart for the £1000 extra for certain regions as they have not disclosed yet what regions you have to study in to be eligible.
I had just applied to student finance two weeks ago. So haven't received the confirmation letter. Can I apply to the fund without it? When is the deadline?
bimbibap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by eda_sah)
I had just applied to student finance two weeks ago. So haven't received the confirmation letter. Can I apply to the fund without it? When is the deadline?
Yes, you can apply and click “submit evidence later”, but make sure to come back and upload the document when you receive it, in regards to
the deadline I don’t know when that is but this application portal opened on July 1st so I’m sure you have some time.
Kawthar01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can you us 2019/2020 student finance letter as evidence?
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kawthar01)
Can you us 2019/2020 student finance letter as evidence?
For the NHS training grant? No, you need the 20/21 letter
_Little_Indian
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi guys
I just registered with the NHS LSF and I got stuck
I cannot find my university on their list
Cannot go forward
What do I do?
Has this happened to anybody else?!
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by _Little_Indian)
Hi guys
I just registered with the NHS LSF and I got stuck
I cannot find my university on their list
Cannot go forward
What do I do?
Has this happened to anybody else?!
I advise you to contact NHS LSF, they are pretty responsive on Twitter/Facebook last time I messaged them and they will be able to advise you on why you can’t see your university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (158)
38.44%
Take autumn exams (125)
30.41%
Look for a job (15)
3.65%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.38%
Take a year out (69)
16.79%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.33%

Watched Threads