The Student Room Group

GCSE

Hi all,

My GCSE result for English Language was a D. This was the result of two GCSE English Language exams, ENG1H and ENL03. For the latter, I received 89 marks, achieving a B. The former was a much more disappointing U grade. However, when I checked how many marks I received for that exam, it was 67.

I thought 67 was an awfully high mark for a U, so I cross referenced it with AQA's (the appropriate exam board) GCSE grade boundaries for that year. The grade boundaries can be found here; https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2014.PDF

A mark of 57 or higher qualifies for an A*, not a U. Could anybody please shed some light as to why I may have been awarded a U instead of the appropriate A*? Has anybody else had an anomaly such as this occur in their results? Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Joe
Hey!

My friend had a similar experience but not quite as drastic! He got a D in his English language GCSE, his mum got it remarked for him but nothing changed. They then got his exam paper posted to them, marked it using the official mark scheme and found that he had written almost word-for-word what was on the marks scheme but the examiner hadn't given him the mark for it!

It would be really worth it to appeal your grade and contact your exam board to explain what's happened. It wouldn't be fair to let all your hard work go to waste!

Quick Reply

Latest