Anybody self taught themselves science GCSES - help?

Watch
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I am currently self studying GCSE biology, chemistry, maths and psychology however I am struggling to work out how I do the practicals for bio and chemistry? I'm self studying AQA as this is the exam board I am used to.

Has anybody successfully self taught and completed their science GCSE's? The AQA biology specification says assessment is via 2 written papers but I keep getting told there is a practical part? Could I not just watch practicals on the internet and answer the questions? Or are the practicals undertaken assessed also?

Yes I am probably best speaking to AQA but with the current situation I thought I may get a quicker answer on here if someone has done the same previously. Thanks!
stressed0ut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Free science lessons, science shorts and primrose kitten will all have videos on YouTube explaining the required practicals, it’s not ideal but it will give you the basics of how to do them
stressed0ut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have not self taught gcse science, but I think you need to do the practicals, I’m not certain though!
nopey123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your a private candidate, then you have to do the practicals at the exam centre you sit the exam at. The centre has to sign off the fact you've completed them
sophie.213
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tw1x)
Hi
I am currently self studying GCSE biology, chemistry, maths and psychology however I am struggling to work out how I do the practicals for bio and chemistry? I'm self studying AQA as this is the exam board I am used to.

Has anybody successfully self taught and completed their science GCSE's? The AQA biology specification says assessment is via 2 written papers but I keep getting told there is a practical part? Could I not just watch practicals on the internet and answer the questions? Or are the practicals undertaken assessed also?

Yes I am probably best speaking to AQA but with the current situation I thought I may get a quicker answer on here if someone has done the same previously. Thanks!
I'm not sure if it's the same situation, but my school was so bad that I had to self-teach myself most of the science course before my GCSE's too. My class definitely didn't complete all of the practical's so I'm pretty sure there is no qualification or exam specifically on the practical's (don't quote me on this though). However, some of the questions in the papers are based on knowledge of the required practical's. Watch freesciencelessons on YouTube, he clearly explains all of the required practical's on the specification for all 3 sciences, and make notes/flashcards. If you need further understanding then there are plenty of videos of people completing the practical's on YouTube. Good luck! Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads