Blackfyrel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I am a final year student at King’s College London, working towards a BSc in Biomedical Science. I will be starting another degree in medicine in September. If you have any questions regarding KCL, the course, living and working in London or anything else related to this, feel free to ask!

barror1
Last edited by Blackfyrel; 1 year ago
helpme135
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any good places to get hair cuts in London (worth its price)?
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
(Original post by helpme135)
Any good places to get hair cuts in London (worth its price)?
Depends how picky you are and how high-maintenance your hair is. For a simple man haircut, there are plenty of fantastic Turkish barbers and hair stylists that will get it done for a bargain.
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
That is a very broad topic. Are you comparing it to other London universities or all the other universities in the UK?
username5161072
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A fellow Biomed (I'm at a different uni)

What are your favourite aspects of your degree?
helpme135
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blackfyrel)
That is a very broad topic. Are you comparing it to other London universities or all the other universities in the UK?
KCL life is pretty similar to the other London universities no? Especially if you are doing medicine.
helpme135
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends how picky you are and how high-maintenance your hair is. For a simple man haircut, there are plenty of fantastic Turkish barbers and hair stylists that will get it done for a bargain.
Any barbers who do trendy hair cuts?
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
KCL life is pretty similar to the other London universities no? Especially if you are doing medicine.
They are more similar that those outside London but I could still give you a significant amount of differences.
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
Any barbers who do trendy hair cuts?
For a guy I presume?
helpme135
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They are more similar that those outside London but I could still give you a significant amount of differences.
Oh really? What are the differences? The most obvious one would be location right but central London is fairly small.
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
Well let’s start with the good sides then.

King’s is a very prestigious university (if that matters to you). The campuses are all central London based so the transport is easy. They work closely with two hospitals (Guy’s and St Thomas Trust and Kings College Hospital) both of which are fantastic. In addition, Guys and St Thomas has the most modern Cancer Centre in Europe, which for me as a scientist and future doctor with interest in immunotherapy of cancer, played an important role in choosing this university. Guys campus, which is the main campus for science and early years medicine students has a very modern central building with well stocked library.
The university is very multicultural, you are likely to find students of all ethnicities and backgrounds.
The student union is one of the best, the helped me out on multiple occasions.
They implemented a very good pals support that helps young student in settling in.
There are several societies, so you are likely to find something for yourself.
The lecturers are absolute legends (in multiple instances quite literally). KCL employs lead researchers in the field, who will be giving you lectures and/or leading your seminars and tutorials.
I also had a very good experience with my personal tutor and head of department, both of whom were extremely helpful in getting me where I am now.

In terms of the negatives,
Like all London based universities, it is quite expensive to pay your living costs, especially if you choose private halls.
The IT services are quite crappy.
Sometimes you need to travel between the campuses on the same day which can be a bit of a bummer when it’s travel peak time. Doesn’t happen often though.
Unfortunately some students and professors alike can come off as a bit snobby (I guess you can’t avoid that with the top league universities but it annoyed me sometimes).
The student satisfaction is unfortunately quite low, so while my experience was rather positive, there is a significant number of students who were not as happy.
It is a massive university so you may feel like you are not treated as much individually as you’d like.
helpme135
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well let’s start with the good sides then.

King’s is a very prestigious university (if that matters to you). The campuses are all central London based so the transport is easy. They work closely with two hospitals (Guy’s and St Thomas Trust and Kings College Hospital) both of which are fantastic. In addition, Guys and St Thomas has the most modern Cancer Centre in Europe, which for me as a scientist and future doctor with interest in immunotherapy of cancer, played an important role in choosing this university. Guys campus, which is the main campus for science and early years medicine students has a very modern central building with well stocked library.
The university is very multicultural, you are likely to find students of all ethnicities and backgrounds.
The student union is one of the best, the helped me out on multiple occasions.
They implemented a very good pals support that helps young student in settling in.
There are several societies, so you are likely to find something for yourself.
The lecturers are absolute legends (in multiple instances quite literally). KCL employs lead researchers in the field, who will be giving you lectures and/or leading your seminars and tutorials.
I also had a very good experience with my personal tutor and head of department, both of whom were extremely helpful in getting me where I am now.

In terms of the negatives,
Like all London based universities, it is quite expensive to pay your living costs, especially if you choose private halls.
The IT services are quite crappy.
Sometimes you need to travel between the campuses on the same day which can be a bit of a bummer when it’s travel peak time. Doesn’t happen often though.
Unfortunately some students and professors alike can come off as a bit snobby (I guess you can’t avoid that with the top league universities but it annoyed me sometimes).
The student satisfaction is unfortunately quite low, so while my experience was rather positive, there is a significant number of students who were not as happy.
It is a massive university so you may feel like you are not treated as much individually as you’d like.
Why do you think student satisfaction is low? Because people aren't treated as individual?
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
Why do you think student satisfaction is low? Because people aren't treated as individual?
Based on the experience of my fellow students, there are a few factors.
Some feel they are treated as just numbers. Some tutors were considered quite rude. In some cases communication seemed to fail. Some found it difficult to find help in their personal difficult circumstances.
Some said that the staff aren’t supportive enough.
helpme135
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Based on the experience of my fellow students, there are a few factors.
Some feel they are treated as just numbers. Some tutors were considered quite rude. In some cases communication seemed to fail. Some found it difficult to find help in their personal difficult circumstances.
Some said that the staff aren’t supportive enough.
It makes sense though. A university is an institution that cares about your money rather than your personal needs.
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
It makes sense though. A university is an institution that cares about your money rather than your personal needs.
It’s a subjective experience but there is no doubt that many universities score way better than this.
helpme135
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s a subjective experience but there is no doubt that many universities score way better than this.
At the end of the day, the only person you can rely upon is yourself or your family. Universities don't really care. They expect you to be on time and do your work.
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
At the end of the day, the only person you can rely upon is yourself or your family. Universities don't really care. They expect you to be on time and do your work.
You are paying huge amount of money for your degree. You can and should expect support. But if you’re not picky then I guess you’ll be happy wherever you go.
Virat18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, which campus do biomedical students need to be closest to and which accommodation would be best for a first year biomedical student at Kings college?

Hi there,

I am a final year student at King’s College London, working towards a BSc in Biomedical Science. I will be starting another degree in medicine in September. If you have any questions regarding KCL, the course, living and working in London or anything else related to this, feel free to ask!

barror1
Blackfyrel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Virat18)
Hi, which campus do biomedical students need to be closest to and which accommodation would be best for a first year biomedical student at Kings college?
Hi,

You will be spending your year 1 alongside other students from the School of Bioscience (anatomy, neuroscience, pharmacology, biochemistry etc). The classes will take place primarily at Guy’s Campus with very occasional (if any) trips to Waterloo Campus. From Y2 it will depend on your module selection but you will still rely heavily on Guys Campus.

In terms of accomodation, are you planning to stay in student halls? If so, there is one building literally next to the campus, can’t remember it’s name as I personally only stayed in private renting (more affordable) but Kings sends those little welcome packages where you have all the halls listed with location pinpointed on a map. There are several buildings in the area for sure as plenty of my colleagues were living a brisk walk away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (19)
16.96%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (33)
29.46%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.61%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.46%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed