The Student Room Group

Is it wrong from him to say ‘I’m sure it’s nothing’ when i’m upset?

My friend acted strange and a bit envious when i told her something about my
boyfriend. I told my boyfriend what happened and he said ‘I’m sure it’s just nothing’.

I kind of freaked because i hate when people disregard how i feel and pretend what i’m saying is not real. I had a friend who would take the other persons side and it’s completely different to me because i’m very loyal and a natural empath.

He then went on to invalidate me when i explained about this friend and why i’m sensitive over this. He said:

Why you always have to start something is just beyond me
Your angry at me now because I said how your best friend is being, is probably nothing she means by it .... imagine
U just make up issues
Constantly on my back
I’m sick of it

I then explained how i felt and he said :
I wasn’t “siding” first of all
Nor was I against you

Basically he hasn’t once listened to how i feel and i have even said please stop invalidating me.
Am i overreacting? I can see that all he meant was ‘it’s nothing don’t worry’, but to me? It was something.

What do i do because he’s stop replying now. Even thought i’ve apologised, tried to explain that i understand where he is coming from and asked to just move on!
Original post by Anonymous
My friend acted strange and a bit envious when i told her something about my
boyfriend. I told my boyfriend what happened and he said ‘I’m sure it’s just nothing’.

I kind of freaked because i hate when people disregard how i feel and pretend what i’m saying is not real. I had a friend who would take the other persons side and it’s completely different to me because i’m very loyal and a natural empath.

He then went on to invalidate me when i explained about this friend and why i’m sensitive over this. He said:

Why you always have to start something is just beyond me
Your angry at me now because I said how your best friend is being, is probably nothing she means by it .... imagine
U just make up issues
Constantly on my back
I’m sick of it

I then explained how i felt and he said :
I wasn’t “siding” first of all
Nor was I against you

Basically he hasn’t once listened to how i feel and i have even said please stop invalidating me.
Am i overreacting? I can see that all he meant was ‘it’s nothing don’t worry’, but to me? It was something.

What do i do because he’s stop replying now. Even thought i’ve apologised, tried to explain that i understand where he is coming from and asked to just move on!

I mean I honestly i wouldnt worry about it, it probably means nothing....
no ok seriously, I think you're overreacting, people say things and most of the time they dont mean anything by it. Plus I think its understandable that your boyfriend doesnt care about what someone said to you about him yada yada because its not really any of his buisness. Also what exactly is he meant to say? Im not a very 'voice my emotions' person though so idk, sorry :frown:
But he shouldnt be still annoyed at you
Reply 3
If he says that a lot it's not a good sign as it shows your feeling are trivial to him. If it's a one off he probably genuinely thinks it's nothing.

Only you know the full past conversations with your boyfriend to judge which it is.
Reply 4
Original post by OddOnes
If he says that a lot it's not a good sign as it shows your feeling are trivial to him. If it's a one off he probably genuinely thinks it's nothing.

Only you know the full past conversations with your boyfriend to judge which it is.

He gets very frustrated with me and says i make issues out of nothing. Yeah i do tend to mention things i don’t like because i’m very sensitive. He’s always just like ‘i’m infuriated because you’re constantly picking at me” and he doesn’t realise that by never addressing my feelings day in day out he’s making it worse.
Reply 5
I don’t want to come across annoying but it’s been 2 hours and he’s still not talking to me.
I don’t want to come across annoying but it’s been 2 hours and he’s still not talking to me.

Don't bother texting him, let him have some space or you may come across as annoying.

Does he say those things to you often? If so then that's defo not a good sign. Also just out of curiosity what did you do wrong to make you feel like you needed to apologise to him?
Reply 7
Don't bother texting him, let him have some space or you may come across as annoying.

Does he say those things to you often? If so then that's defo not a good sign. Also just out of curiosity what did you do wrong to make you feel like you needed to apologise to him?

He got angry and said i am winding him up because i got upset that he said ‘i’m sure it’s nothing’ .. as in he said i’m overreacting so i didn’t mean to start an argument i just didn’t like what he said
Reply 8

and yeah he does say them often. i’ve told him i told like when he gets frustrated because i prefer maturity but he doesn’t seem to take it on board
He got angry and said i am winding him up because i got upset that he said ‘i’m sure it’s nothing’ .. as in he said i’m overreacting so i didn’t mean to start an argument i just didn’t like what he said

When things calm down you guys need to obviously talk. Calmly approach the topic about how you feel and how his words make you feel. Tbh I was going to say more but I honestly don't know much about your relationship nor am I an expert so I don't want to give you any wrong advice.

All I can say is know your worth and ask yourself if your boyfriend really sees it too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending