The Student Room Group

Philosophy and poverty

What are some philosophers with an interesting philosophical viewpoint on the idea of poverty? One that comes to my mind is Marx. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any other ones?
Reply 1
Gillian Brock
Original post by gjd800
Gillian Brock

What about some 18th and 19th-century philosophers?
Reply 3
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
What about some 18th and 19th-century philosophers?

don't care enough about them to know
Original post by gjd800
don't care enough about them to know

Then list some of your Indian philosophy people :tongue:
Reply 5
Then list some of your Indian philosophy people :tongue:

their polphil probably isn't the sort of polphil you're after. it's bound up with religion and duty
Does Thomas Malthus count?
I also know William James did a bit on poverty but I haven't read into that at all so... not sure if he counts either.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 2_versions
Does Thomas Malthus count?

To an extent- you could talk about how his population theory applies to current times and why that causes poverty
Original post by gjd800
their polphil probably isn't the sort of polphil you're after. it's bound up with religion and duty

Are there no good Buddhist stuff on poverty?
Reply 9

the Buddhist stuff I deal with was written by monks that chose to live in poverty, so yknow

There is a sort of Buddhist political phil broadly speaking but it is hard to separate it from the religion
Original post by gjd800
the Buddhist stuff I deal with was written by monks that chose to live in poverty, so yknow

There is a sort of Buddhist political phil broadly speaking but it is hard to separate it from the religion

What was their philosophy behind why they chose to live in poverty- I'm guessing something to do with enlightenment?
Reply 11
What was their philosophy behind why they chose to live in poverty- I'm guessing something to do with enlightenment?

world renunciation and lack of ownership to facilitate lack of attachment to objects

I'm not sure, but I think daoism would be a great place to start... I think they prioritise reconciliation rather than fighting to get out of poverty. They were influential to Buddhism .
"The true man of old did not fight against poverty nor did he look for fulfilment through riches for he had no grand plans. Therefore he never regretted any failure , nor exulted in success."
Reply 13
I'm not sure, but I think daoism would be a great place to start... I think they prioritise reconciliation rather than fighting to get out of poverty. They were influential to Buddhism .
"The true man of old did not fight against poverty nor did he look for fulfilment through riches for he had no grand plans. Therefore he never regretted any failure , nor exulted in success."

Buddhism in India predates Daoism in China by up to 600 years (or 200 on a conservative take), so it probably wasn't influential to Buddhism, it was influential to Chinese flavours of Buddhism, some of which are radically different to their parental lineage
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Buddhism in India predates Daoism in China by 600 years, so it wasn't influential to Buddhism, it was influential to Chinese flavours of Buddhism, some of which are radically different to their parental lineage

ah apologies. What I know of Buddhism is what I was taught - never thought to look into it deeper to be honest. Might have to when I start my course though... if lockdown ever ends haha.
Reply 15
ah apologies. What I know of Buddhism is what I was taught - never thought to look into it deeper to be honest. Might have to when I start my course though... if lockdown ever ends haha.

This is why Chinese Buddhism is weird and wonderful in comparison to its Indian grandfather, same with Tibetan stuff and some Sri Lankan stuff. Massive mix of folkloric and native religions in with the 'new' Buddhism coming in. So influential on religional variants of Buddhism for sure, but Buddhism per se existed as a post-Vedic cult all on its own, regardless of the influence of Dao, Bon etc

Aye, lockdown is a bit grim now. Can't last forever!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending