The Student Room Group

Tutoring??dont even know were to start 😳

i want to start online tutoring during quarantine just to earn some extra cash yano. i can get the students as i know a few from around my area and im willing to teach any subject as i predicted was a A-A** student at GCSE level(which i obvs did not do). also my timetable is quite flexible. but i havent planned out the times, if the students should or...
any advice or ideas or things that i should put in consideration before starting.?willing to give extra detail if needed. thanx
Original post by J_Study
i want to start online tutoring during quarantine just to earn some extra cash yano. i can get the students as i know a few from around my area and im willing to teach any subject as i predicted was a A-A** student at GCSE level(which i obvs did not do). also my timetable is quite flexible. but i havent planned out the times, if the students should or...
any advice or ideas or things that i should put in consideration before starting.?willing to give extra detail if needed. thanx

Sounds like a good idea. But like your situation- who needs tutoring at the moment and who is willing to pay?
You haven't got any qualifications at the moment until you receive your certificate so you may find it hard to find people who are willing to pay someone to teach their child something they can teach.

You also need to think about how you would teach offline? would you provide questions for your student to answer via email? or would it be a video conference? What would be your area in expertise? What year group?

I would look at getting a job at Tesco if you need money.
Tutoring is NOT easy- it comes with a lot of pressure and doubt. I taught GCSE english last year so I know.

Good luck.
Original post by J_Study

If you haven't actually sat your GCSEs yet and received your grades it may be tough finding people who would pay you to tutor them as you don't have any qualifications yet. Most people who do tutoring have done their A-Levels at the very least. Of course, if you already know people who would be interested it could be a good idea.
To work out times etc, you need to contact whoever you think may be interested and work out a timetable to suit both of you. It's unlikely to be 'easy money', but with lockdown extended there's no harm in giving it a go, as long as you're honest with everyone about your qualifications.
Reply 3
Exam grades aren't an indication that you'll be able to be a tutor. It's like writing a CV; show, don't tell. Lots of people could say "I was predicted top grades at GCSE", what can you do to demonstrate to people that you are able to explain information, advise on revision methods, set tests, explain marking methods and keep children's attention?

You say you can get the students, but can you keep them and get their parents onside? After all, who is going to be paying you enough money to make it worth your while and what about those who want to know how their children are communicating with?

You could look at doing some online courses in tutoring, but it's then getting practical experience to build on and for references in future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending