How many driving lessons did it take you to pass?

Watch
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'd like to know how many lessons it took you to pass your test so I know roughly how many it should take when I finally decide to take lessons. My brother is taking his and he's had a fair few, which worries me. Because of the commercial nature of driving lessons I do wonder if he's being conned into a recommended amount of lessons that is extortionate for the sake of aggressive profiteering.

I have a car in mind though (after university) but I will probably start off with a sporty looking scooter because of finances. I used to want a Honda Goldwing but it works out cheaper to get a Lotus Elan, a bit silly really.
ryan*TANK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im not road legal

but my driving instructor recommended 40 hours which works out to be around 800-1000 (cant remember the rates)

we had this handbook and she would mark down what i was doing well at....i had about 6 or 7 lessons and i could drive around fine....with no complaints, and still she wouldnt tick stuff off in the logbook despite doing it quite easily

didnt call her back

i could probably pass my test after another 2-3 lessons.....
Overmars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Around 30 lessons, or 40 hours in total, ND.

I've heard stories where, as you say, instructors might be looking to push their learners for a few more lessons to squeeze more money, but I genuinely believe that most wouldn't, and they'd be honest with you.

AFAIK, around 20-30 lessons is the norm for people who can practice (go on drives in their mum's car etc.), but it may take you more if you don't have anything you can practice with.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Overmars)
Around 30 lessons, or 40 hours in total, ND.

I've heard stories where, as you say, instructors might be looking to push their learners for a few more lessons to squeeze more money, but I genuinely believe that most wouldn't, and they'd be honest with you.

AFAIK, around 20-30 lessons is the norm for people who can practice (go on drives in their mum's car etc.), but it may take you more if you don't have anything you can practice with.
Yeah I thought 20 lessons was a benchmark for something. I thought of doing the Pass Plus at one stage just because I wanted to be a safe driver as much as possible. Every day nine people die on the roads and I don't wish to contribute to this statistic but, depending on my career, I might get some uber special training.
Einstein Jr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
14 lessons for me which works out at about 20 hours
βored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Um ... about 40 to 45, 1 hour lessons, with no private practice.
benwellsday
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't remember but I know it was a lot less because I got to practice with my parents. You can cover all the basics with them, thats a lesson or two out the way, and you can practice the manouvres with them too. The best thing you can do is get the theory out the way as soon as possible and book the test when you feel ready. Or get a private instructor, mine was cheaper and actually wanted me to do less lessons than my mum was trying to get me to do.
And pass plus is easy, theres no test, but its good for the practice in certain conditions, good for getting on the motorway, and you get a bit off your insurance.
Arnie Pie In The Sky
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I used to keep count but now I can't be bothered. I've had around 25 hours and am ready for the test. I know if I was given a car I could drive it easily but something stupid will fail me which is the feeling I get.
Ed.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My first test (which I failed) I had after about 26 hours, my second test (which I passed) after about 32.
bfbf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
42 hours en passed first time

Everyone who seems to do well has had a least 35 hours. My test was booked after 38 hours but then they canceled and we managed to squezze in 2 more lessons which I think helped.
Dreamy_whisper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'll have had about 60 hours when I do my test with no private practice. Remains to be seen if i pass or not though.
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ryan*TANK)
im not road legal

but my driving instructor recommended 40 hours which works out to be around 800-1000 (cant remember the rates)

we had this handbook and she would mark down what i was doing well at....i had about 6 or 7 lessons and i could drive around fine....with no complaints, and still she wouldnt tick stuff off in the logbook despite doing it quite easily

didnt call her back

i could probably pass my test after another 2-3 lessons.....
ha, you're not with BSM by any chance are you? I laughed in the guy's face when he told me 40 lessons.

I think I passed in about 25-30 - failed the first time due to over-caution on back roads. Passed the second time when I was actually ready, but I switched to a private instructor after 5 lessons from BSM and dont count them as lessons because the way he taught me I couldn't do anything without being prompted entirely, like a step-by-step talking method sitting in the passengers seat. My new instructor made me think for myself which is something you really need in an instructor.
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It depends if you've got anybody to take you out driving. If you can get somebody to do that, you could go out every day for like a month before your test and pay for the £200+ insurance and 25+ (?) lessons.

If not then, maybe 35+?

It all depends on the person me thinks.
jase951
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Too many, about 50 I think. Failed twice...
limonadita
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Approx 22. The standard is about 30 here though.
ooze
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
50 hours total, with no private practice. Passed on the second test.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
iv had more lessons than i could of gotten away with because i stopped driving for 8 months and never had the desire to drive...
but my test is next week so i have one more lesson next week before my test and have so far had 30 hours worth i think 3 blocks of 10, but then i also have my own car so i drive nearly every day anyway...
x
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It took me 50 lessons and 3 tests!
Then I did Pass Plus so 10 more lessons :P
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
ha, you're not with BSM by any chance are you? I laughed in the guy's face when he told me 40 lessons.

I think I passed in about 25-30 - failed the first time due to over-caution on back roads. Passed the second time when I was actually ready, but I switched to a private instructor after 5 lessons from BSM and dont count them as lessons because the way he taught me I couldn't do anything without being prompted entirely, like a step-by-step talking method sitting in the passengers seat. My new instructor made me think for myself which is something you really need in an instructor.
bsm aint that bad driving like everything else people learn in different ways what didnt work for you did work for me!
i had one lesson with a private instructor then went straight back to bsm because i like there method of teaching. it worked for me i like to know what im doing and they dont keep giving prompts, thats why they have the number code in the books for how much prompting you need....
x
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
in my school it varies a lot between 3 for this one boy and 50+ for this one girl.

but general rule of thumb 20 lessons - plus driving around with parents
or 30 lessons - with no driving roundwith parents
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.66%
I'm not sure (11)
3.02%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (125)
34.34%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.65%
I'm not a current university student (165)
45.33%

Watched Threads