Jshek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,

I'm in year 12 and I'm thinking of applying to southampton for biomed but I want to do masters and that will need AAA and I have a feeling my predicted grades will be AAB so there is no way to apply to the masters. Would it be better if i apply for masters AAA and the bsc AAB at southampton so 2/5 of my unis chosen? Will they accept my offer for masters? Or is it possible to finish bsc and get the highest grade 2.1 or 2.2 and join the masters despite not getting AAA?
Rahash
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi,

What’s your reason for doing a masters after you finish your degree?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Usually you can transfer between the BSc (3 year) and MSci (4 year) versions of the course within the first two years, subject to attaining the required grades in the course and filling out a couple forms. Students on the 4 year course who fail to get the necessary grades (usually a 2:1 average) are usually required to switch to the 3 year course.

For doing a standalone MSc after the BSc (3 year), this will purely be dependent on your degree classification - graduate admissions tutors don't care about your school studies because by the point you're applying to an MSc it's completely irrelevant. You'll probably be expected to get a 2:1 minimum for a 1 year taught MSc at most unis, or a 1st for some.
Jshek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rahash)
Hi,

What’s your reason for doing a masters after you finish your degree?
I want to apply to the STP which will need masters or phd as it is very competitive
Jshek
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Usually you can transfer between the BSc (3 year) and MSci (4 year) versions of the course within the first two years, subject to attaining the required grades in the course and filling out a couple forms. Students on the 4 year course who fail to get the necessary grades (usually a 2:1 average) are usually required to switch to the 3 year course.

For doing a standalone MSc after the BSc (3 year), this will purely be dependent on your degree classification - graduate admissions tutors don't care about your school studies because by the point you're applying to an MSc it's completely irrelevant. You'll probably be expected to get a 2:1 minimum for a 1 year taught MSc at most unis, or a 1st for some.
So applying to the bsc I am able to transfer into the masters despite not get the a level requirments?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Jshek)
So applying to the bsc I am able to transfer into the masters despite not get the a level requirments?
You may be able to transfer once you begin the course - there is no guarantee of course, but usually provided you're on track to get a 2:1 it's quite easy to swap between the two.
Jshek
Rep:
?
You may be able to transfer once you begin the course - there is no guarantee of course, but usually provided you're on track to get a 2:1 it's quite easy to swap between the two.
Should I apply to masters or bsc then
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Jshek)
Should I apply to masters or bsc then
Generally it's best to apply to the course you intend to study, in the first instance. It's not uncommon for such courses to make an alternative offer for the BSc version if they feel they can't make you an offer for the MSci version initially.
Jshek
Rep:
?
Generally it's best to apply to the course you intend to study, in the first instance. It's not uncommon for such courses to make an alternative offer for the BSc version if they feel they can't make you an offer for the MSci version initially.
Can I apply to both the bsc and masters at the same uni
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Jshek)
Can I apply to both the bsc and masters at the same uni
Usually yes, but many unis have a policy of only giving one offer per applicant, and it will be the same admissions tutors reviewing your application for both courses and often you'll be considered for both if you apply to the MSci version, so applying to multiple courses doesn't necessarily increase your odds of getting an offer. I'd probably suggest it would be better to use your 5 choices to apply to different universities.
MichaelM98123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Apply for the BSc on where you want to go because if you get a 2:1 in your BSc you’ll be able to apply to do an MSci anywhere anyways. Additionally they normally let you switch onto the 4 year course if you have the 2:1 regardless of your A levels. I’m doing a masters in Leeds after getting a 2:1 in the BSc but required 65% to transfer as there was only 25 places from around 300 BSc student so very competitive. Bare in mind you also don’t need a masters or PhD to apply for the STP, you can get a place from BSc alone
Jshek
Rep:
?
(Original post by MichaelM98123)
Apply for the BSc on where you want to go because if you get a 2:1 in your BSc you’ll be able to apply to do an MSci anywhere anyways. Additionally they normally let you switch onto the 4 year course if you have the 2:1 regardless of your A levels. I’m doing a masters in Leeds after getting a 2:1 in the BSc but required 65% to transfer as there was only 25 places from around 300 BSc student so very competitive. Bare in mind you also don’t need a masters or PhD to apply for the STP, you can get a place from BSc alone
Thanks I'll apply for the bsc. I don't understand the grading of 2.1 could please clarify what 2.1 and 2.2 is ? Also why would they offer biomed AAA masters if you can transfer? And what course you doing? Thanks
MichaelM98123
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A 2:1 is 60-70% normally, and a 2:2 is 50-60% normally. A 2:1 is what you should aim for as a minimum. The masters are generally more competing and the 4 year is harder so the grading needed is higher for entry to begin with. You could also email the uni to check you be able to transfer if you got the grades required. I’m doing an integrated Biological Sciences masters as it’s fully funded for 4 years, you should look into that too as you get more money and the masters year paid for.
Jshek
Rep:
?
(Original post by MichaelM98123)
A 2:1 is 60-70% normally, and a 2:2 is 50-60% normally. A 2:1 is what you should aim for as a minimum. The masters are generally more competing and the 4 year is harder so the grading needed is higher for entry to begin with. You could also email the uni to check you be able to transfer if you got the grades required. I’m doing an integrated Biological Sciences masters as it’s fully funded for 4 years, you should look into that too as you get more money and the masters year paid for.
What year did you transfer to the masters after getting 2.1? Was it first year
MichaelM98123
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I applied at the end of second year
MichaelM98123
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I applied at the end of second year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise