The Student Room Group

Point score calculation

Hey guys, I am a foreigner trying to get some insights into the GCSE system. More especifically on the point score, how is this calculated? I have seen for some subjects the grade counts more towards the point score since they are considered as more important.
My question: What subjects can be taken into GCSE, how much does each of them count towards the point score and which subjects are mandatory? thanks!
What’s a point score? Do you mean marks on a test? The subjects you can take at GCSE is dependant on the exam board you do so if you look at an examboard like aqa or wjec, they’ll have some of the same subjects but also have different subjects to offer. The subjects that are mandatory is dependant in the school; ideally you want English Language, Maths and Science (either triple or combined). For my school, my compulsory subjects was maths, English literature, English language, science (either triple or combined), RE (since we were a catholic school) and french (only certain people were made to do it). Ideally you want 5 GCSEs at minimum (including Maths and English Literature but having a science GCSE will open more doors to you and if you do triple that’s 3 GCSEs with combined is only 2 GCSEs)

Quick Reply

Latest