Math questions

Watch this thread
As.1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please refer to the attachment.
Can someone please explain the questions below.
For Q27 - The answer is C.
For Q31 - The answer is C.
Attached files
Last edited by As.1997; 2 years ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
January and February will contain some payments from November and December?
Can you work back from June (and May) to see how much they were?

It helps to think of each purchase as a 3 month window (1/2, 1/4, 1/4).

For Q31, you know the total amount of points, what is the average and maybe some reasoning from there?
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 years ago
As.1997
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
January and February will contain some payments from November and December?
Can you work back from June (and May) to see how much they were?

It helps to think of each purchase as a 3 month window (1/2, 1/4, 1/4).
Okay, so this is as far as I have got.
June: 2000 is 1/4 of the amount in April. Therefore, April has 8000? Since only half of 8000 is paid in April we should have only 4000 in April but instead, we have £5000. So there is an extra £1000 from previous months?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Okay, so this is as far as I have got.
June: 2000 is 1/4 of the amount in April. Therefore, April has 8000? Since only half of 8000 is paid in April we should have only 4000 in April but instead, we have £5000. So there is an extra £1000 from previous months?
Thats the right idea.
Think about June's conribution of 2k this means April May June (4k, 2k 2k). So the remainder is
(9k 3K 4k 1k 1k 0k)
Now Mays contribution of 1k must be (2k 1k 1k). So the remainder is ...
As.1997
Rep:
Thats the right idea.
Think about June's conribution of 2k this means April May June (4k, 2k 2k). So the remainder is
(9k 3K 4k 1k 1k 0k)
Now Mays contribution of 1k must be (2k 1k 1k). So the remainder is ...
4k 2k 2k.

Therefore, 4+2+2+2+1+1+4+2+2= 20k i.e. C.
Got it (unless I've misunderstood what is going on)
Can we go to question 31.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
4k 2k 2k
What do you mean?
As.1997
Rep:
What do you mean?
"Now Mays contribution of 1k must be (2k 1k 1k). So the remainder is ..."
What I understood from this is.

(March 2k) (April 1k) (May 1k)

If March is 2k then

(January 4k) (February 2k) (March 2k)
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
"Now Mays contribution of 1k must be (2k 1k 1k). So the remainder is ..."
What I understood from this is.

March -- April -- May
2k -- 1k -- 1k
So subtract from (9k 3K 4k 1k 1k 0k) to give
(9k 3K 2k 0k 0k 0k)
April payments are 0k so ?
As.1997
Rep:
So subtract from (9k 3K 4k 1k 1k 0k) to give
(9k 3K 2k 0k 0k 0k)
April payments are 0k so ?
Feb March April: 4k 2k 2k
Sorry I just realised. If April is 0K.
Then
Feb March April (0k 0k 0k)
I've attached a picture of where I have got upto but it is still wrong
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Feb March April: 4k 2k 2k
Sorry I just realised. If April is 0K.
Then
Feb March April (0k 0k 0k)
I've attached a picture of where I have got upto but it is still wrong
youre pic is correct but youre adding up the wrong parts.
The !1/2 spend in jan,feb,mar,apr is 4+0+2+4 = 10. So double to get 20.
As.1997
Rep:
youre pic is correct but youre adding up the wrong parts.
The !1/2 spend in jan,feb,mar,apr is 4+0+2+2 = 10. So double to get 20.
Please ignore the table I made earlier, as that is just too confusing. I've produced another one which is far easier to understand.
We do the same thing upto March and then we stop. The reason being is because extra money in February comes from a December purchase and extra money in January comes from a November purchase.
Finally, we add all the values we have identified which gives 20k.
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thats correct.
Ive a typo in the previous post for April. Will correct now ...
As.1997
Rep:
Thats correct.
Ive a typo in the previous post for April. Will correct now ...
Nps
As.1997
Rep:
For Q31 the furthest I got was to look at each option.
If A was correct and the highest score for last place was 13, then the total for the people above last place is 87.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Sure but in 9 matches 90 points is ahared amongst 4, so 22.5 each, on average. The highest two have ~6 points more than third and they have ~6 points more than last. Then the last person gets 6 in the final match. Can you fill in the details?
As.1997
Rep:
Sure but in 9 matches 90 points is ahared amongst 4, so 22.5 each, on average. The highest two have ~6 points more than third and they have ~6 points more than last. Then the last person gets 6 in the final match. Can you fill in the details?
Going with this,
On the 9th round, this is what it should be like:
1) 28
2) 28
3) 22
4) 16
I'm still quite unsure as to what I am doing
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Going with this,
On the 9th round, this is what it should be like:
1) 28
2) 28
3) 22
4) 16
I'm still quite unsure as to what I am doing
It would be approximately that, though the scores have to be achievable and no ties. Why are you unsure - the scores have to reflect the info in the question and the highest losing score must mean they score 6 in the last match.
As.1997
Rep:
It would be approximately that, though the scores have to be achievable and no ties. Why are you unsure - the scores have to reflect the info in the question and the highest losing score must mean they score 6 in the last match.
Suppose on the 10th round, last place scores a 6, then this would get it to around 22, which isn't an option. Alternatively, we would have to guess. Since we are using rough values, the answer could be C, D or E. Going by with the logic that we are currently using.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Suppose on the 10th round, last place scores a 6, then this would get it to around 22, which isn't an option. Alternatively, we would have to guess. Since we are using rough values, the answer could be C, D or E. Going by with the logic that we are currently using.
No, those scores mean there could be ties, depending on the last match. What scores make ties impossible (with the last one as high as possible).
As.1997
Rep:
No, those scores mean there could be ties, depending on the last match. What scores make ties impossible (with the last one as high as possible).
Okay, now I see what you mean.
For the 9th round, it would have to be:
1) 28
2) 28
3) 21
4) 14
Which totals 91. Or it could also be:
1) 27
2) 27
3) 20
4) 13
Which totals 87.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (39)
70.91%
No (12)
21.82%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
7.27%

Watched Threads