Kevin2002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
In particle physics, annihilation can occur to any pair of particles and antiparticles, but how do you know what they will form?

the collision of an electron and positron forms a photon, which can then decay into pairs of electrons, muons, taus, and quarks.

So is this the same for a proton and an antiproton? or do they form sth other than a photon?
jamiecjx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Whenever a particle and an antiparticle collide (non specific, any particle), they annihilate each other and produce two photons.

The energy of the photons depends on the rest mass of the particles and their velocities.

The photons can produce pairs of the particles through pair production, only dependant on the rest mass of the particles produced.

A proton and an antiproton will also produce two photons, but they probably have higher energy than the collision between electron and positron.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads