tessasophie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey guys
I finished my uni application process and am now deciding between Uni of Aberdeen (International Relations and legal studies) and PPLE at the University of Amsterdam.
Objectively, PPLE would be the better choice as it is very prestigious (good for getting into elite unis for masters) and the combination of subjects and the quality of education is great. But I’ve heard some negative things about PPLE on here and I’m afraid that student life and community spirit won’t be nearly as good as in Aberdeen, also there is the problem regarding accommodation in amsterdam. Overall I really like Aberdeen (student life, accommodation, sense of community, societies, campus, british education system in general and the subject itself), but I’m afraid that the uni is not good/prestigious enough and that turning down PPLE just because I want a better uni experience in the UK would be the wrong decision.
Does somebody have experiences with PPLE and studying in Amsterdam in general and is it really that different to UK unis? And is it worth it turning down an offer for pple for aberdeen uni?
I’d be super grateful to hear your experiences with both unis or any advice you’d have for me!!
(Also I would love to work for an organization like the EU or the UN later on, maybe that’s important for the questions)
Thanks so much!
Last edited by tessasophie; 1 year ago
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tessasophie)
hey guys
I finished my uni application process and am now deciding between Uni of Aberdeen (International Relations and legal studies) and PPLE at the University of Amsterdam.
Objectively, PPLE would be the better choice as it is very prestigious (good for getting into elite unis for masters) and the combination of subjects and the quality of education is great. But I’ve heard some negative things about PPLE on here and I’m afraid that student life and community spirit won’t be nearly as good as in Aberdeen, also there is the problem regarding accommodation in amsterdam. Overall I really like Aberdeen (student life, accommodation, sense of community, societies, campus, british education system in general and the subject itself), but I’m afraid that the uni is not good/prestigious enough and that turning down PPLE just because I want a better uni experience in the UK would be the wrong decision.
Does somebody have experiences with PPLE and studying in Amsterdam in general and is it really that different to UK unis? And is it worth it turning down an offer for pple for aberdeen uni?
I’d be super grateful to hear your experiences with both unis or any advice you’d have for me!!
(Also I would love to work for an organization like the EU or the UN later on, maybe that’s important for the questions)
Thanks so much!
Prestige wise your going to be far better off going to the top dutch research university... Then the 4th or 5th most prominent Scottish University. Rankings wise it's not even a comparison. The Netherlands is obviously tough academically (so i hear) but for a masters degree i kind of would expect to be pretty stressed and worked lol.

I'm slightly biased though, as I've accepted a place in the Netherlands for my Masters...University of Groningen..I did my undergrad at University of Nottingham. I think having two countries on your CV will make you standout in a positive way. You have the advantage of going to there top global institutions...for literally nothing.

For a similar UK global ranking the price isn't even comparable.

I'll give you an example, a good friend of mine is going to University of Warwick to do her Master, she messaged me very excitedly she had gotten in and been offered a scholarship....

Course price in UK = £29,000 they offered her £5,000 a cute gesture.... Times higher ranking.... 77th globally...

I'm going University of Groningen price = £1,800...global ranking? Times Higher 73th...
violetvine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tessasophie)
hey guys
Thanks so much!
Hiya!
I'm considering PPLE as well. You can actually get in contact with someone who currently studies the course, you can get their info through the website, or like I, contacted someone from the UvA instagram page . If you want to see screenshots of what info I heard back, dm me. Hope all is well x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (44)
15.12%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
32.65%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.37%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (24)
8.25%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.84%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
24.74%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed