d r e a m y
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,

could anyone provide guidance on this question? I'm not sure where to look or how to approach it or the ideas?

Vertebrates have a higher metabolic rate than fish and amphibians. Explain this using your knowledge of differences in their circulatory systems and the use of oxygen delivered by mass flow to tissues in the two groups.
Many insects show a high level of metabolic activity but their circulatory systems do not exhibit rapid mass flow. Referring to insect mass flow systems explain how this is possible.
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
1. 'Vertebrates have a higher metabolic rate than fish and amphibians. Explain this using your knowledge of differences in their circulatory systems and the use of oxygen delivered by mass flow to tissues in the two groups'

metabolic rate is the rate at which chemical reactions take place in the body.

Think about the differences in the circulatory systems between the two:

Vertebrates: oxygen absorbed through lungs and alveoli from the air (alveoli create larger surface area for more absorption).
Fish: oxygen absorbed through gills, which are very thin to allow quick diffusion of oxygen from the water.

Think:
Is the process of absorption faster in one than the other?
vertebrates are generally bigger than fish, do they have a higher or lower metabolic rate than fish? Do they therefore need more or less oxygen? How do differences in the way they absorb oxygen support and explain this?

2. 'Many insects show a high level of metabolic activity but their circulatory systems do not exhibit rapid mass flow. Referring to insect mass flow systems explain how this is possible'

How does the insect mass flow system work?
How does the oxygen reach the insect tissue?
Insects have a very small body area and volume, does oxygen reach the tissue faster because of this? (think, absorption surface area (big or small), length the oxygen has to diffuse to reach tissue (far or little), do they have a double or single circulatory system?)

If this helps feel free to drop a like 😊
d r e a m y
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheOnlyIzzy)
1. 'Vertebrates have a higher metabolic rate than fish and amphibians. Explain this using your knowledge of differences in their circulatory systems and the use of oxygen delivered by mass flow to tissues in the two groups'

metabolic rate is the rate at which chemical reactions take place in the body.

Think about the differences in the circulatory systems between the two:

Vertebrates: oxygen absorbed through lungs and alveoli from the air (alveoli create larger surface area for more absorption).
Fish: oxygen absorbed through gills, which are very thin to allow quick diffusion of oxygen from the water.

Think:
Is the process of absorption faster in one than the other?
vertebrates are generally bigger than fish, do they have a higher or lower metabolic rate than fish? Do they therefore need more or less oxygen? How do differences in the way they absorb oxygen support and explain this?

2. 'Many insects show a high level of metabolic activity but their circulatory systems do not exhibit rapid mass flow. Referring to insect mass flow systems explain how this is possible'

How does the insect mass flow system work?
How does the oxygen reach the insect tissue?
Insects have a very small body area and volume, does oxygen reach the tissue faster because of this? (think, absorption surface area (big or small), length the oxygen has to diffuse to reach tissue (far or little), do they have a double or single circulatory system?)

If this helps feel free to drop a like 😊
Thank you so much!!
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by d r e a m y)
Thank you so much!!
I got an A at a-level biology, if you want me to send my notes on circulation system shout
d r e a m y
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheOnlyIzzy)
I got an A at a-level biology, if you want me to send my notes on circulation system shout
Yes please!! That would be so helpful! I'll send you a message now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.5%
I'm not sure (50)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.54%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (542)
48.52%

Watched Threads