Hello, my name is Zoë Skipper Reed. I feel very nervous for the interview process (hoping I get one!) It’s so exciting to hear about everyone’s passions, wishing good luck to everyone & would be so happy to talk via personal message
1. I’m studying Geography, Economics, and English Literature with an EPQ (on the relevance of the UN) and I’m predicted A* in all
2. I received 99988777776
3. I love the interdisciplinary nature of HSPS which means that you can understand issues from so many different global perspectives, which I think is so important to therefore resolving issues. I have a particular interest for climate action as a means of social justice, and want to gain a greater intersectional understanding of the ideas shaping our world, and solutions to specific issues such as conflict and refugee crises, and most of all how we alleviate poverty while protecting the environment.
4. Clare college - good ratio for state schools, the community seems so friendly and there are also great extracurriculars such as the Amnesty international group.
5. Durham (of course! For combined social sciences), Edinburgh, Exeter, and Bath. I am considering St Andrews because the sustainable development modules seem so interesting!
6. I only looked around the city to see the colleges, but most of my research had been through the talking politics podcast to get a better idea of the lecture style
Interview prep so far...
-re-reading books from my personal statement (poor economics, women race & class, the handmaids tale, doughnut economics, the end of poverty)
-keeping up to date with current affairs through podcasts and radio (Mostly radio 4 today)
-researching counter arguments to my ideas & doing practice essays
I am a passionate activist for the environment and have engaged with my council on sustainability policy. Volunteering with the charities WWF & Right to play uk, engaging with higher education through lectures and online courses (Future learn is amazing!). I am headgirl and have fundraised for UNHCR, and I have been a part of essay competitions etc.
I would like to work for a global organisation like the UN in the future, potentially in diplomacy however I’m very open to different pathways and especially in journalism, academia, and think tanks/research. Definitely a field dedicated to sustainable development.