The Student Room Logo

Cambridge HSPS Applicants 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meadowfalcon
Heyy I have both my interview tomorrow! HSPS at Girton. I am absolutely bricking it

Same here had it today also for girton!! How was it?
The first half of my interview with Johnny and Marie was TERRIBLE - second half slightly better. Then the interview with Linda and Thomas was okay so weird tho I can’t tell!!

How about you?! So nice to talk to someone at the same College!
Reply 62
Wow I had a completely different experience.

The first interview was terrible and they literally didn't smile or anything. I also struggled to answer really basic politics questions, like literally definitions and then I cried myself to sleep :smile:

The second interview was okay but honestly anything would've been better than the shambles that was interview 1.
Reply 63
hey, i applied to sidney sussex! had my interview yesterday :smile:
first one went pretty horribly imo, they asked a question that had me completely lost and I talked for a solid 3 minutes just thinking out loud T^T
second interview was much better! the interviewers were lovely and I was a little familiar with the reading passage assigned so I feel like it went somewhat well :3
overall I just don't wanna get my hopes up, but I can't wait for jan 25 to come faster lol
how does everyone else feel? and any other sidney applicants? i feel so lost hahahah
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by meadowfalcon
The first half of my interview with Johnny and Marie was TERRIBLE - second half slightly better. Then the interview with Linda and Thomas was okay so weird tho I can’t tell!!

How about you?! So nice to talk to someone at the same College!

omg, same!!! But I had them in the opposite order. I thought the interview with Linda and Thomas was really nice and wholesome. They barely questioned me and complimented me I was having such a nice time. They even waved goodbye at me :smile:

For the second one I just kept talking I literally would not shut up lol because I did not know what to say and kept waffling.

Overall I am honestly so grateful for this experience. I live in a very conservative country and no one in my circle has ever attended uni in the UK let alone Cambridge. No matter what happens I am really thankful for everything.
Original post by A2collegeIthink
omg, same!!! But I had them in the opposite order. I thought the interview with Linda and Thomas was really nice and wholesome. They barely questioned me and complimented me I was having such a nice time. They even waved goodbye at me :smile:

For the second one I just kept talking I literally would not shut up lol because I did not know what to say and kept waffling.

Overall I am honestly so grateful for this experience. I live in a very conservative country and no one in my circle has ever attended uni in the UK let alone Cambridge. No matter what happens I am really thankful for everything.

I had the same. They were very nice people. I do not think I am in though. Marie and Dr Lawson went better than Thomas and Linda. They tested my knowledge and didn’t blunder or anything but i am not confident at all.
Original post by goloogaloo
Hello ! I am applying for HSPS this year.
1) German, history, English Lang-lit (and welsh bacc but I hardly feel like that counts) Think 3 A* prediction but not altogether sure (no clue what the prediction is for welsh bacc)
2 ) 12A* 2A
3 ) love learning about politics, especially politics of corruption/extremism. Also love sociology of justice/feminism and love a good debate!!
4 ) I’ve applied for Emma
5 ) I’ve applied to Durham, Bristol, KCL and Manchester and I really like all of them!!
6 ) not really, but I did meet the director of music for Emma (he was very nice)
7 ) I went to Auschwitz with LFA, got into Harvard summer school but it didn’t happen (very sad times) so I did an Oxford online summer school instead. Spoke to Welsh government about policy. Deputy head girl, went to Peru on a childcare/community project. reading a lot (some Chomsky, lots of short books just so I can get as much knowledge in as possible) , keeping up with the news as much as possible, just consuming as much relevant media as possible really so if I get an interview (fingers crossed) I will be fairly prepared!

Would love to chat to any other applicants ! I am #terrified and don’t think I will get past interview if I get one but I thought it was worth a try anyway.

Did you get in?
Original post by emriichards
Hey! I've only just seen this. My name is Emily and I'm from Wales:smile:

1) At AS I took English lit, Sociology, Gov and Politics and Geography and got 4 As. Now I've dropped Geography and I'm predicted 2A*s and an A
2) At GCSE I got 8 A*s and 5 As
3) I am really interested in international relations and politics and specifically how that can be related to different cultures and its links to anthropology. Couldn't really decide on a single subject so thought HSPS was the best bet
4) I've applied to Christ's but also considered Clare for a while too
5) I've also applied to Durham (classic Oxbridge reject i know lol), Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol
6) I attended the virtual open days but I have never visited the city or uni in person (eek)
7) I entered the RA Butler essay prize which I received a special commendation for but other than that just reading and watching documentaries

I am terrified tbh but as long as I get an interview I will be happy. At least then I know I will have given it a good shot

Did you get in!!?
Original post by mikdewji
1) Politics (A), Biology (A), Maths (A*)
2)99999988877A
3) I have always been extremely interested in sociology and how society functions and I feel as though politics and sociology are so intertwined and it is imperative to study both together
4) Emmanuel College
5) Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, UCL
6) I went on a school trip to Homerton College
7) I did a MOOC on feminism and social justice, went to an investIN programme, read 'Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race', did work experience at TRT World

Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten an interview yet?

Hey! I was wondering which investIn programme that you did because I'm thinking of doing it so I didn't which one would relate more to HSPS. Also how did you get work experience from TRT world?
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
1.) I do IB so: English Lit. (HL), Economics (HL), Philosophy (HL), Maths Analysis (SL), Spanish (SL), Physics (SL) (7 7 7 7 7 6)

2.) 3x 9s, 8x 8s

3.) I want to learn more about the real-world effects of political theory and its effects on society (very general summary)

4.) Applied to St John's

5.) Durham, St Andrew's, Nottingham, KCL

6.) If the online open days count

7.) Frantz Fanon, Simone de Beauvoir and other readings to do with political philosophy. I volunteer at local primary schools and have done working experience in Lagos, Nigeria and shadowed a QC in London at the High Court of Justice. Watched a couple documentaries aswell and just keeping up with current affairs. Also did essay competition on equality and liberty and a council member of my school's ACS and help to mentor younger students and helped to create a cultural campaign within school to celebrate BHM (again, a general summary).

Haha I’m from Lagos, are you from Lagos too or did you just visit?
Did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest