The Student Room Group

Question about life

So here is my question:

Do you think it is better to pick the easier option in life and feel less stressed but not following your dreams or to choose the harder option in order to follow your dreams but as a result be under a lot more stress?
Reply 1
Depends on the type of person u are innit. For example, I get decent grades without much revision, some people say it’s a good thing but I KNOW it’s not, cause I could be so much better if I wasn’t lazy and if I didn’t watch anime 24/7. Not just better in studies but learning new skills or reading more books. But at the end of the day I know myself and I know that my family, having fun, enjoying life ect make me more happy. I don’t know what’s gonna happen to me tmr, I’ll do what I like.

The main question is: what are your dreams? How big are they? If you have very ambitious dreams you best believe there’s a price to pay. Another question is how do you handle stress? I know I don’t go well with it, it causes me a plethora of psychological problems🥴Therefore, although I want to be a medical student atm I may finally give in and realise it’s too much for me. Dreams can change too.

It’s a tough one, not everyone can have concrete dreams. Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
I think that if you have a serious dream then you have to follow it, no questions asked, unless it’s literally impossible to achieve.

You have to be realistic with yourself in life to some extent but if you have a dream that you think you can achieve i can imagine that it could crush you to get to a later stage in life and regret not following it. If you’re dream in life is to be stress free and as relaxed as possible then that’s great but otherwise i don’t think being less stressed is worth the cost of wondering what could have been.
Reply 3
Personally, if it is your passion and you want your dream, go for it, what do you have to lose? It's up to you but it's nice and satisfying to know if you tried instead of thinking if you could have made it. I mean, worst case scenario, if you tried and didn't make it, you're back at square one but if you just didn't try, you're still at square one.
Original post by Hoodoo
Depends on the type of person u are innit. For example, I get decent grades without much revision, some people say it’s a good thing but I KNOW it’s not, cause I could be so much better if I wasn’t lazy and if I didn’t watch anime 24/7. Not just better in studies but learning new skills or reading more books. But at the end of the day I know myself and I know that my family, having fun, enjoying life ect make me more happy. I don’t know what’s gonna happen to me tmr, I’ll do what I like.

The main question is: what are your dreams? How big are they? If you have very ambitious dreams you best believe there’s a price to pay. Another question is how do you handle stress? I know I don’t go well with it, it causes me a plethora of psychological problems🥴Therefore, although I want to be a medical student atm I may finally give in and realise it’s too much for me. Dreams can change too.

It’s a tough one, not everyone can have concrete dreams. Hope this helps:smile:

My dream was always to do medicine at university I would say that it is a massive and ambitious dream and the price to pay is having to endure high levels of stress and uncertainty as it is not easy to get the grades required so in the back of my mind there is this fear that despite doing all I can it just won't be enough. But I feel if it does succeed my life will have meaning and purpose. I have an offer to study Chinese but part of me wants to give my dream of studying medicine another go but this would me declining my offers going back to college to do chemistry, resetting biology and doing the UCAT. :frown:
Original post by ohnojay
Personally, if it is your passion and you want your dream, go for it, what do you have to lose? It's up to you but it's nice and satisfying to know if you tried instead of thinking if you could have made it. I mean, worst case scenario, if you tried and didn't make it, you're back at square one but if you just didn't try, you're still at square one.

That's a good point that whether I make it or don't at least I have tried I am worried about the devastation that I will feel if I don't make it though.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous1502
My dream was always to do medicine at university I would say that it is a massive and ambitious dream and the price to pay is having to endure high levels of stress and uncertainty as it is not easy to get the grades required so in the back of my mind there is this fear that despite doing all I can it just won't be enough. But I feel if it does succeed my life will have meaning and purpose. I have an offer to study Chinese but part of me wants to give my dream of studying medicine another go but this would me declining my offers going back to college to do chemistry, resetting biology and doing the UCAT. :frown:

This is a difficult one with medicine being so competitive and i have of course heard of people applying and getting no offers. I think personally that this is more of a question if you think that you can do it and the grades that you need, and persevere when things get really hard.

What grade did you get in biology and do you think that you could do considerably better when resitting it?

I think that if you’re willing to pay the price of more years studying and more stress etc for medicine that you should go for it. Even if you don’t get onto medicine straight away there are other things that you could do that are related. Stuff like biomedical sciences or i think there could possibly be foundation courses for medicine at some unis?? Just do your research on your options before you make any decisions and if you’d be willing to do a similar career if it really wasn’t meant to be.

Doing chinese sounds kind of crazy though if your dream is medicine. If you try your best and can’t make it as a doctor then it wasn’t meant to be, that’s how life works sometimes, but if you never try you’ll never know.
Original post by e2002!
This is a difficult one with medicine being so competitive and i have of course heard of people applying and getting no offers. I think personally that this is more of a question if you think that you can do it and the grades that you need, and persevere when things get really hard.

What grade did you get in biology and do you think that you could do considerably better when resitting it?

I think that if you’re willing to pay the price of more years studying and more stress etc for medicine that you should go for it. Even if you don’t get onto medicine straight away there are other things that you could do that are related. Stuff like biomedical sciences or i think there could possibly be foundation courses for medicine at some unis?? Just do your research on your options before you make any decisions and if you’d be willing to do a similar career if it really wasn’t meant to be.

Doing chinese sounds kind of crazy though if your dream is medicine. If you try your best and can’t make it as a doctor then it wasn’t meant to be, that’s how life works sometimes, but if you never try you’ll never know.

I got a B grade in biology.
I wouldn't be able to afford it but thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous1502
I got a B grade in biology.

well i’d say you’d be in a good position to get an A or even A* if you do resit then so that’s something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending