The Student Room Group

Reapplying for a different course at a different uni after a level

So basically, I'm predicted A*A*A and have an offer to read PPE at Warwick this September. However, I have decided that I am more interested in Social Sciences and am considering applying for HSPS at Cambridge or Social Sciences with Data Science at UCL. How does reapplying work in regards to the A Levels I'm given? I think I will be given A*AA at A level by my school, although may potentially have to retake exams in September to achieve this. Is it sensible to reapply and take a gap year, would Cambridge consider me?
Reply 1
Original post by amaanmanji
So basically, I'm predicted A*A*A and have an offer to read PPE at Warwick this September. However, I have decided that I am more interested in Social Sciences and am considering applying for HSPS at Cambridge or Social Sciences with Data Science at UCL. How does reapplying work in regards to the A Levels I'm given? I think I will be given A*AA at A level by my school, although may potentially have to retake exams in September to achieve this. Is it sensible to reapply and take a gap year, would Cambridge consider me?

Hi there. I successfully reapplied to Cambridge this year for Theology for October 2020 entry.

It wouldn't hurt to start researching the HSPS course and Cambridge colleges now whilst you have the time, but I would recommend waiting until you have seen your results before you make a decision as whether to reapply or not. In my experience, Cambridge do consider post-qualification candidates equally to those in Year 13 but it would be a good idea to contact the college you would like to apply to ask specifically about HSPS and whether they accept post A level applicants. The application process is the same for pre and post A level candidates, except for the fact that you would be applying with A levels!

If you go to a state school, a fantastic service is the Christ's College 'Post-qualification Application Advice Clinic', which operates after results day and means you can have a conversation with Christ's admissions about the competitiveness of your application. (https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/open-d...results-clinic). This was really helpful for me in making the decision to reapply.

My other advice would be to:
1) Think things through carefully, as applying with qualifications doesn't guarantee an offer. Take your time to make a decision.
2) Do some research on the course/colleges so you can make the best informed decision
3) Reapplying means taking a gap year. I found it helpful to use the time between deciding to reapply and finding out about an interview to do some of the introductory reading on my course. The department website will probably have an introductory reading list to make a start on. Also read some things related to your subject that interest you- articles, essays etc.
5) If things don't work out, don't be disheartened. There are many other amazing universities where you would do brilliantly.

If you have any more questions about reapplying, please feel free to ask. Best of luck whatever you decide!

Quick Reply