The Student Room Group

Chemistry titration a level help

I don’t get part B. Can someone show me a diagram or explain what’s going on. Also it mentions in mark scheme acid and HCL. Is that referring to propanoic acid or HCL. Someone please explain to me this experiment and how it works with the mark scheme
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Joey6272
I don’t get part B. Can someone show me a diagram or explain what’s going on. Also it mentions in mark scheme acid and HCL. Is that referring to propanoic acid or HCL. Someone please explain to me this experiment and how it works with the mark scheme

Hi! The mark scheme complicates it a little, but I hope this sounds simpler (I've referred to propan-1-ol as propanol throughout this explanation)

You have added propanol and propanoic acid. Remember that a carboxylic acid + an alcohol -----> always gives an ester. In this case, the propanol + propanoic acid -----> propyl propanoate (the ester) + water. This is the equation given in the question.

Now, also recall that esters can be hydrolysed by an acid, for ex. HCl. So, you initially added unknown moles of propanol and unknown moles of propanoic acid, which formed unknown moles of an ester. But you have also added HCl. This HCl will hydrolyse the ester. But say, you have added more than required HCl. So only some moles of HCl will react with the ester, and the remaining moles of HCl can be titrated against to find the moles of HCl remaining.

If you initially knew how many moles of HCl you've added, then you can subtract the initial moles of HCl (before any reaction) and the final moles of HCl (after the reaction) to calculate how many moles actually reacted with the ester. Once you've calculated this, it is very easy to calculate the moles of ester from simple stoichiometery.
Original post by qwert7890
Hi! The mark scheme complicates it a little, but I hope this sounds simpler (I've referred to propan-1-ol as propanol throughout this explanation)

You have added propanol and propanoic acid. Remember that a carboxylic acid + an alcohol -----> always gives an ester. In this case, the propanol + propanoic acid -----> propyl propanoate (the ester) + water. This is the equation given in the question.

Now, also recall that esters can be hydrolysed by an acid, for ex. HCl. So, you initially added unknown moles of propanol and unknown moles of propanoic acid, which formed unknown moles of an ester. But you have also added HCl. This HCl will hydrolyse the ester. But say, you have added more than required HCl. So only some moles of HCl will react with the ester, and the remaining moles of HCl can be titrated against to find the moles of HCl remaining.

If you initially knew how many moles of HCl you've added, then you can subtract the initial moles of HCl (before any reaction) and the final moles of HCl (after the reaction) to calculate how many moles actually reacted with the ester. Once you've calculated this, it is very easy to calculate the moles of ester from simple stoichiometery.

To find the moles of HCl that reacted with the ester, you need to know the initial moles of HCl you added.
So if you added x moles of HCl, and some moles reacted, you have remaining y moles of HCl.
So the 'moles that have reacted' will simply be how much you initially had - how much remains = X - Y.

The experiment in the question will help you determine the moles of HCl 'remaining' in at equilibrium, i.e it will help you find the value of Y. Now, to find the moles of HCl added initially (i.e X) you must titrate the initial volume of HCl you had taken. Then you can find out the initial moles, and thus calculate moles of HCl that reacted. This is what the mark scheme refers as the 'additional experiment'
Reply 3
so basically it’s 3 steps. tirarte the initial HCL to see how much started with. then tirarte the mixture after to see HCL left over . take away to see how much HCL reacted. then i don’t get the second mark
Original post by Joey6272
so basically it’s 3 steps. tirarte the initial HCL to see how much started with. then tirarte the mixture after to see HCL left over . take away to see how much HCL reacted. then i don’t get the second mark

Exactly! To me, the mark scheme seems a little wrong (although that is impossible). It should be subtract the total number of moles of HCl at equilibrium from the number of moles of HCl added inititally
Original post by qwert7890
Exactly! To me, the mark scheme seems a little wrong (although that is impossible). It should be subtract the total number of moles of HCl at equilibrium from the number of moles of HCl added inititally

Instead of HCl (initially) - HCl (after reaction), the mark scheme says HCl (after reaction) - HCl (initially) which should give the same numerical value, however the latter used in the MS will give you a negative value while the first will give a positive one.

I might be wrong.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
hopefully ur not wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest