The Student Room Group

Transferring to Second Year at another Uni- who should I email?

I am looking into transferring to another uni (i'm currently in my first year) and I'm not too sure how to go about it. I don't wanna email the wrong person or make the wrong impression and blow my chances. Who should I email? Admissions? The Head of School? The Senior lecturer for my course?
Thought I’d answer as I’m doing the same thing- currently first year but transferring unis for next year.
First you gotta email the admissions team at universities you’re interested in to see whether they’ll accept entry into second year as not all unis do this.
Next step is to make an application through UCAS the same way you did for first year, including writing a new personal statement. Just make sure you specify point of entry two on the courses you’re applying for. You also need a reference- your current uni tutor should be happy to write this for you. Once sent off unis will accept/ reject your application through UCAS same as before, and only when you have a definite place for second year you should let your current uni know you’re leaving.

Final point I want to add is I’ve found both my current and future uni to be more than accomodating and helpful- you are also unlikely to make a ‘wrong impression’ by expressing your interest in studying at a particular university as to them you are a potential future asset (and another 9k!)
Reply 2
Original post by marshmallowfluff
Thought I’d answer as I’m doing the same thing- currently first year but transferring unis for next year.
First you gotta email the admissions team at universities you’re interested in to see whether they’ll accept entry into second year as not all unis do this.
Next step is to make an application through UCAS the same way you did for first year, including writing a new personal statement. Just make sure you specify point of entry two on the courses you’re applying for. You also need a reference- your current uni tutor should be happy to write this for you. Once sent off unis will accept/ reject your application through UCAS same as before, and only when you have a definite place for second year you should let your current uni know you’re leaving.

Final point I want to add is I’ve found both my current and future uni to be more than accomodating and helpful- you are also unlikely to make a ‘wrong impression’ by expressing your interest in studying at a particular university as to them you are a potential future asset (and another 9k!)

Hey, thanks for answering!
Have you already finalised your transfer to your new university for second year? If you don't mind me asking, which universities are you switching between and for which course?
I am currently a first year undergrad studying Biochemistry at the University of Westminster.
In regards to emailing the universities themselves, do you think I should email the admissions teams or the head of school?
What I'm worried about is a lot of universities rejecting me based on the fact that they don't know how many of the students in their first year cohort won't make it into second year next year and therefore they don't know if they'll have spaces on the course next year...
Original post by tan23kha
Hey, thanks for answering!
Have you already finalised your transfer to your new university for second year? If you don't mind me asking, which universities are you switching between and for which course?
I am currently a first year undergrad studying Biochemistry at the University of Westminster.
In regards to emailing the universities themselves, do you think I should email the admissions teams or the head of school?
What I'm worried about is a lot of universities rejecting me based on the fact that they don't know how many of the students in their first year cohort won't make it into second year next year and therefore they don't know if they'll have spaces on the course next year...

Email admissions in the first instance. It’s their job to deal with questions like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending