The Student Room Group

WHO recommends limits on alcohol consumption during lockdowns

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
Is anyone even listening to WHO advice in relation to covid19? :tongue:
With the exception of the CCP and possibly a few advisers to President Trump.

Yes? I certainly don't take them as gospel but I listen. I've had to use a fair amount of their resources/papers over the years so there's a bit of familiar respect there.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Solution: say that the NHS will not treat alcohol or drug-related conditions for free.

They don't treat anything for free? We all pay in a sort of arbitrary way so it's free at point of delivery right? If we're going to try and get into the nitty gritty of who deserves what, I don't make use of schools or other child related expenses, or most of the roads come to think of it, midwifes? social workers for the vulnerable? yeah fk them. I don't see why anyone I think is a stupid **** should get an ambulance.... You see why the whole 'who deserves what' version of national health won't work. It's already based on rigid social entitlement.
Reply 41
Original post by napp
the who can **** off. They've already blotted their copybook with the public once, i doubt this will improve their image :lol:
https://thehill.com/policy/international/europe/493103-who-calls-for-limits-on-alcohol-consumption-during-lockdowns

They can take our booze if they take our lives first!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by EdFritz13
Being in the position I’m in, i totally agree! But that’s why you’ve gotta do things that are interesting, you’ve got a computer and you’ve got the internet, you can’t tell me drinking alcohol alone is a better alternative
Just typing it makes it sound sad

Get drunk and fall off your high horse.
Reply 43
Original post by EdFritz13
Just remember that people in England, pay taxes that go towards the NHS which have to take care of idiots who end up in hospital because of too much drinking. Also remember the amount of abusive behaviour goes on from drinking in this country.
We should care for one another, not let each other rot
That’s the principle of national services

What about the money coming in from the drinks they're buying?
Reply 44
I would scrap all VAT as it hits the poorest hardest, but getting rid of taxes on alcohol, cigarettes and sugar/energy drinks is a good place to start.

My position regarding all drugs from caffeine to crack cocaine is that
1) the state should allow anyone over the age of majority (18) to take drugs
2) drug-takers have a right to be informed about the effects of the drug and the harms it can cause in a neutral way - essentially a better FRANK service that isn't ”whooo, scary drugs”
3) if the drug can intoxicate/harm people that don't want to consume it (for instance second-hand tobacco smoke) then its use should be restricted to special areas like smoking gardens in pubs or (formerly) smoking carriages on trains
4) the NHS or any state-run thing paid for by taxpayers should not pay for any damages caused to drug takers by their drug

Essentially ”take what you want so long as you're informed about the consequences and able to consent, but don't expect to get a new liver or whatever with taxpayers' money”

I agree, if someone wants to do drugs it's safer if they are legalised.
Reply 45
alcohol in significant quantities is not good for the body

at the end of the day though, it's your life, and your health, so if you want to ignore the advice it's your call

just don't start crying if you find yourself in an ICU ward one day...
Original post by StriderHort
They don't treat anything for free? We all pay in a sort of arbitrary way so it's free at point of delivery right?

You know what I mean. Besides, I don't think your average tramp who turns up at a and e with cirrhosis is going to be a taxpayer.
You know what I mean. Besides, I don't think your average tramp who turns up at a and e with cirrhosis is going to be a taxpayer.

Hey, I paid my taxes!
I would scrap all VAT as it hits the poorest hardest, but getting rid of taxes on alcohol, cigarettes and sugar/energy drinks is a good place to start.

My position regarding all drugs from caffeine to crack cocaine is that
1) the state should allow anyone over the age of majority (18) to take drugs
2) drug-takers have a right to be informed about the effects of the drug and the harms it can cause in a neutral way - essentially a better FRANK service that isn't ”whooo, scary drugs”
3) if the drug can intoxicate/harm people that don't want to consume it (for instance second-hand tobacco smoke) then its use should be restricted to special areas like smoking gardens in pubs or (formerly) smoking carriages on trains
4) the NHS or any state-run thing paid for by taxpayers should not pay for any damages caused to drug takers by their drug

Essentially ”take what you want so long as you're informed about the consequences and able to consent, but don't expect to get a new liver or whatever with taxpayers' money”

I have a similar outlook however I support the taxation method to pay for the healthcare and administration of a regulated market.

FRANK is still really good resource in the current format, it is my go to for drug information.
Original post by harrysbar
Hey, I paid my taxes!

:rofl:

Original post by DiddyDec
I have a similar outlook however I support the taxation method to pay for the healthcare and administration of a regulated market.

FRANK is still really good resource in the current format, it is my go to for drug information.

For what it's worth it can come across as a bit anti-drug as can some of the information leaflets given out by government agencies at libraries etc.
Just my opinion.
For what it's worth it can come across as a bit anti-drug as can some of the information leaflets given out by government agencies at libraries etc.
Just my opinion.

The website is pretty accurate, of course it is going to be anti drug in places but you can read round that.

If you want a funny read take a look at the old TSR Drug "Fact" File.

I do get you... But they are taxpayers though? Assuming no immigration tomfoolery they'll have NI contributions on record somewhere although admittedly the amount they currently pay might be 0...but if we impose the system, we must honour it. That's kind of my point, it's a lifetime no opt out deal, that tramp might not pay anything now...but who knows what they paid in the years before or may in future? they could be a .com tragedy case who lost it all to HMRC for all we know? It only works if we don't draw those lines, just like currency only holds weight because we don't all shout as one 'wait....this is NONSENSE?!?!'
Reply 52
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Bring back prohibition. The alcohol industry is the new tobacco industry. There's no safe limit for alcohol.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401

Ahh a nice glass of Cotes Du Rhone and a Dunhill :colone:
Reply 53
Original post by Napp
Ahh a nice glass of Cotes Du Rhone and a Dunhill :colone:

Blimey, if only. I'm stuck with cheap whiskey and cheaper smokes. Can't complain, though.

Reply 54
Original post by Ascend
Blimey, if only. I'm stuck with cheap whiskey and cheaper smokes. Can't complain, though.

You have my deepest sympathies on this one!
Original post by Ascend

Yeah 'Golf Cub Whiskey Deluxe' doesn't inspire confidence.

It sounds like that blue bottle David Beckham Haig crap I got a few years back, and the first thing it says on the back is 'best enjoyed with cola'... that's when you know you're really fk'd.
Original post by Ascend

:console:
Reply 57
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah 'Golf Cub Whiskey Deluxe' doesn't inspire confidence.

It sounds like that blue bottle David Beckham Haig crap I got a few years back, and the first thing it says on the back is 'best enjoyed with cola'... that's when you know you're really fk'd.

The real kicker here is this:

Original post by Ascend
The real kicker here is this:

Agreed, that's pretty damn ominous...
I'm saving my liver for a hardcore night out with my mates as soon as I can go back to my university town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending