The Student Room Group

What counts as a GCSE?

when people say 'i have 7 GCSE's' what actually counts as one?

is a GCSE A*-C

or

is it anything from A*-E

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking its whether you,ve passed it or not, so A*-C
Reply 2
A GCSE is A* to G, but most places won't accept anything lower than a C.
.Theory
A GCSE is A* to G, but most places won't accept anything lower than a C.

:ditto: Exactly what he said.
Reply 4
Theres nothing that says you need higher than a C to pass is there?

I would have thought it meant just having anything but a U.
Yes it is technically anything A*-G because it is technically 'graded' although I wouldnt consder anything below a C as a passing grade.
You can still put E grades etc on your CV, as you did actually gain a GCSE.

Half courses also count as GCSE's. So thats why I technically have 11 and a half...
mollymustard

Half courses also count as GCSE's. So thats why I technically have 11 and a half...

You have half a GCSE, but if you put it on your CV do you just put the subject and grade, or do you have to state it's half?
gaomeister
Theres nothing that says you need higher than a C to pass is there?

I would have thought it meant just having anything but a U.

Don't go claiming anything lower than a C as a pass. Technically, the lower grades are passes, but nobody will be interested in anything less than a C grade, which is supposed to equate to the old GCE O level. If you put down anything lower than this you will come across as rather naive and foolish to an employer.
chernij
You have half a GCSE, but if you put it on your CV do you just put the subject and grade, or do you have to state it's half?

Yes, you have to state that it was a "GCSE Short Course" which is just a long winded way of saying half a GCSE.
mollymustard
Yes, you have to state that it was a "GCSE Short Course" which is just a long winded way of saying half a GCSE.

Ohhh okay :smile:
That's a weird way of putting it.
Reply 10
It depends really. If you get a D-G, it still technically counts as a passed GCSE and you get a certificate and everything, but when most people refer to a "pass", they mean A*-C. It only counts as a Level 2 qualification if you get C or above.
Reply 11
I've been told that to pass a GCSE you need C+, but AS-Level and A-Level it's E+.
Reply 12
It depends on the tier. You can't pass higher tier with anything less than a D, or foundation with anything less than a G. The minimum pass grade for those with GCSE's from the intermediate paper was an E.
A*, A, B, C, D, E are all GCSE 'passes'.

It's just some mean more than others.

Today :woo:
Tomorrow :no: or :yep:
Reply 14
A-E are all passes
A pass is A*G, however in reality anything less than a C is a fail. When writing your CV, you say I got 11 GCSEs, or whatever, don't specify grades. And if they do ask for grades, just make them up as long as they sound believeable. Don't say 11 A*s, just make up a mixture of Bs and Cs. Employers rarely ask to see proof of GCSE results, there's no point.
Good bloke
Don't go claiming anything lower than a C as a pass. Technically, the lower grades are passes, but nobody will be interested in anything less than a C grade, which is supposed to equate to the old GCE O level. If you put down anything lower than this you will come across as rather naive and foolish to an employer.

You mean anyone on TSR won't be interested. Theres loads of college courses which have lower requirements than 5Cs. Mainly vocational courses.
l0uis
You mean anyone on TSR won't be interested. Theres loads of college courses which have lower requirements than 5Cs. Mainly vocational courses.

You said it. Academic institutions and employers will have no interest in anything less than the equivalent of the old GCE O level, which is GCSE grade C. It is not exactly a high expectation, is it?
Good bloke
You said it. Academic institutions and employers will have no interest in anything less than the equivalent of the old GCE O level, which is GCSE grade C. It is not exactly a high expectation, is it?

No not really. Theres thousands of people who don't have Cs yet are still employed. It may not be a high expectation for you but there are others who are not cut out for school. Just because you find it easy doesn't mean others do too!
l0uis
No not really. Theres thousands of people who don't have Cs yet are still employed. It may not be a high expectation for you but there are others who are not cut out for school. Just because you find it easy doesn't mean others do too!

You misunderstand. My point is that an employer that feels GCSE grades are relevant will not be happy with anything less than a C grade. Of course, there are plenty of jobs that are available for those people that can't attain that level. They just tend not to pay very well.

Quick Reply

Latest